Shooting the breeze Best fittings sponsors UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 3rd November 2012, 08:04 PM
Douchebag/Mook Identifier
Member of: Thorn Dell

The thing I want to replicate is on every shoot there are a few targets where I just seem to be comfortable, and rock steady. If only every target felt like that.

My steyr is accurate, from a bench it's groups are stunning at 55 yards, but to be honest no better than my mk2 pro-target with mk3 reg. I am coming round to the idea that the pro-target was way ahead of it's time. The proof is on every shoot you go to pro-targets still cut the mustard with the current cream of the crop top FT rifles. Generally easily sorted locally when things go wrong. I might start shooting mine when it's serviced.
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the replies My Dad has an EV2 (mk4) and it does seem very easy to group well-although he just plinks with it
The only rifle I have not shot in anger is the LG110-I found them a little too light to be honest...but having looked at some of the custom woodwork on show in the galleries on here...Hmmm
The irony is, now I am changing all my rifles to LG300'S, it is costing me a bloody fortune-five years ago I was offered half a dozen for under 800 The price I am paying for fashion They do seem to be an easy rifle to shoot well with-and they seem to be fairly straightforward in design-I can understand their popularity.

I recently asked John Ostler for his opinion on which is the best rifle out there-he said it was impossible to answer-its down to personal taste really, although he did list good / bad points as follows:

Ripley AR5's-superbly crafted-the trigger can be a weak point
Anschutz-the best trigger
Walther-(and I quote: the designer of this rifle must be laughing all the way to the bank-surely the cheapest of all the FT guns to produce-so simple yet reliable)
Steyr-probably the best engineered rifle
EV2-brilliant-once Air Arms design flaws (bit political) have been ironed out
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:45 PM
Member of: North Devon Airgunners
Default o

they will all out shoot the shooter ........ nuff said
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:08 PM
anschutz 9003
Member of: Greyhound

Nut behind the butt very simple ....
Old 8th November 2012, 07:37 PM

If one gun really was better than the others the secret wouldn't last very long and you would never see anything else used.

If any quality PCP is running right and is well set up with suitable pellets then the groups will be identical. So much of what ends up being used is just a platform for modifications to the point that even barrels are changed.

Given the flaky nature of our minds we have to use a gun that we think is best. Truth is that care in rifle preparation, scope set up and pellet selection are more important than what brand or type of rifle and scope are used.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:57 PM
Member of: JGARC

There are some factors that have a big effect on your marksmanship, and others, not so much.

It makes sense not to obsess about the 3%, at the cost of mastering the 97%.

In the past I've been guilty of sweating the small stuff, and I'd put equipment choice bang smack in the middle of the small stuff.

It really doesn't matter which rifle you are holding, if you're hopeless at kneelers. Or you can't range correctly, or your heartbeat is bouncing you around, or you're generating massive parallax error on every shot. Or you forget to load a pellet, or you shoot the wrong target. If any of these things are true, you might well be holding the most accurate rifle that has ever existed but you're still going to miss.

It's natural that we obsess about our kit choice and prep., but at the end of the day these choices don't have anywhere the impact on our score cards as spending a bit more time on our basic marksmanship practice.

So choose the rifle that suits you best, and when you miss, don't look to changing some aspect of your rifle (like I have in the past) look to trying to figure out what you improve in your technique.

Easier said than done though...