Shooting the breeze Valley Arms Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 16th July 2013, 09:35 PM
Member of: Castle ftc

Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Pretty much sums them up with the name of disposable scope given to them. Brought about when Vari X 3 were approx 1100 you could have 4 Nikos hopefully lasting 12 months.

Did have an average to good BSA when they just come out (2001?) it was the shortest I have ever owned a scope junked it less than a day later. Couldn't even make out face plate shape yet alone colour or kill area or even get a zero within 4". Ropey mark 1 Tasco no problem just milky, Mark 4 whats the problem.
Had the best of 9 Niko mark1 laid out in a line paid full whack 280 and 260 mile round trip from BAR, now I could have got one trade price = not worth the risk. This mark 1 Niko Feb 2004, kept 5 weeks then got shut. Easy 8 yards error, turrets not progressive and too top heavy.

Having had several of pretty much all scopes inc 7 Marchs, the only scope I would look at would be early T50, Sightron and a Comp if can live with fixed mag, I cant.
Scopes don't have to snap to rangefind and agree with Mark too much emphasis is put on large gaps.
Theres no such thing as a perfect scope theres always a trade off and probably where the S3 will fit nicely.
Had my mk1 nikko nato ret for 7 years.....still going strong..: You need an eye test jon
EV2mk4-Nikko nato mk1
Pro-Target-Nikko nato mk3
TX200mk3-Bushnell elite.
Old 20th July 2013, 07:40 PM

Theres Niko and theres Niko, nuff said totally variable in quality from very good (a few) to absolute dog s..t.
Lucky man if find a mediocre to good one they are not sold.
Old 21st July 2013, 07:40 AM
Member of: nelson
Default scopes

scopes are all down to eyes, I am convinced that all brands dont suite everybody,s eyes I,ve tried a few and the only scope I can range find with is a leupold I need to learn to shoot straight