Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 29th July 2009, 04:36 PM
Sparky's Bodyguard

I do remember walking off a course having finished it thinking "what a bloody waste of a morning/afternoon that was" and I may or may not have made reference to a well known mouse with big ears called mickey
Old 29th July 2009, 05:10 PM

In all my years shooting i can honestly say ive never had a DNF or thrown a hissy fit...I've been close a couple of times usually just resulting in a few choice words to myself and/or a kicked bean bag. Last years gathering was close to being a DNF though, Suffering with man flu, being soaked through thanks to a non waterproof "waterproof" jacket and being slightly the worse for wear after trying to kill the flu virus with alcohol the night before I couldn't blow my track record though and stuck it out, all the time questioning my sanity
I have seen some quite spectacular paddies in the past though with my favourite of all time being about 10-12yrs ago when a extremely serious trophy hunting FT shooter blew a gasket big style and lauched his Anschutz/custom shop combo a good 10yds plus over the firing line when things weren't quite going his way A cease fire was called and he had to do the walk of shame to collect his rifle before being told in no uncertain terms to sling his hook and dont come back Strangely he wasn't seen on the circuit much after that

Remember folks...Its only a game
Old 29th July 2009, 05:47 PM
Trainee Grumps

ANDY YATES, can probably fill the database, from what i've heard.

C'mon Andy, tell us all.

Average Spring Gun Shooter
Old 29th July 2009, 06:09 PM
I Like BIG Hats!
Member of: Far Coley FTC

Originally Posted by Kingplinker View Post
C'mon who's guilty of throwing a hissy fit on a comp then ?

Have you ever walked off a course part way through feeling dejected OR have you ever failed to hand your card in due to a poor score ?

I am guilty of not handing my score card in at the southern hunters MONSOON a couple of years back after Scutter stitched me up with a duff gun ... I shot a 37 I think it was , screwed up the soggy card but was later told to **** it in for the bonus bunny . I didn't win that either btw .

My first target , an easy 20 yard kneeler just about dinked the very bottom of the target which set the alarm bells ringing but its still one of those shoots I will never forget , the ribbing stopped after about 3 months anyway. lol

So c'mon , own up before someone grasses you up !

Not so much loosing the plot but if I miss targets I have no business missing through some silly mistake, or go through a spell of playing oxo (0X0XX00) for a few lanes, I would sometimes have a little growl to myself (FFS WILL!!) and the like, get it out of my system and try and get my house in order. No walkoffs, no DNFs, all is good
AirArms RN10/EV2 Stock-2007 Big nikko FT Kit
AirArms NJR100 Hawke Airmax SR6 HFT/SFT Kit
Feinwerkbau 600 10 metre
HW77K-zeiler 6-24x44 Work in progress
Webley Vulcan .22 Lovely old relic
Old 29th July 2009, 06:09 PM
Bernies MY *****

At Anston's NEFTA HUNTER I shot a rat high in a tree and hit the kill dead center, The target did'nt go down, the shooter in front of me varified that the kill was free from pellet marks when he shot but he missed, when he looked he said yes thats yours in the middle. Mr Calpin shinnied up his ladders (with shorts on, not pretty) tested the target and it was working fine, Missed the next 4 lanes due to being wazzed off and rushing. The guys behind me all got it too, still can't explain it, just unlucky I think!
AA EV2 Mk2/Hawke Panorama half mildotEmleyMoor FTC
Old 29th July 2009, 06:40 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

A few words have been uttered in anger... but i'll try and stick to my mantra which is never to walk off a course... if you accept your score is dead, then all you have is an opportunity to learn with the rest of the course. What more valuable time do you have to learn than in the exact conditions that you're having a problem with?

But then I haven't exactly queued up for my bronze badge when i've deserved one... ... and I did scare Rich on a standing lane 2 winters ago when I went from a 1st/2nd possible to a definite 3rd in one lane, the last one of the season...
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 29th July 2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Ramshead View Post
yes only the once, but thats all your getting.....right
LOL we just all have to remember its FOR FUN,happy birthday by the way
Old 29th July 2009, 07:43 PM

Okay, so I might of suffered the odd sense of humour failure and lobbed me gun down on occasion, but its not something I`m proud of.
You should try to take a second before doing anything, as on a comp there are other people around you that are also trying to get a decent score and having some pratt spitting his dummy can put them off too.

Last edited by bypass; 29th July 2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:43 PM
Member of: M.A.D

I dont know so much about a hissy fit but boy can i moan! mind you i think that is a womans perogative!! Instead of thanking my shooting partners for shooting with me i usually thank them for putting up with me!! The award for the most tollerant shooting partners this year goes to Janine and Lou for helping me through my "Losing the will to live" stage at Bisley, and the number one spot must go to Rik for having to put up with not only me; but a moaning molly the sausage dog all the way round the course at the MAD comp!!! Now thats patience for you!!!!!

Jen xxx
Old 29th July 2009, 09:30 PM

I have only had two - one due to the incompetence of a marshal testing a target where the kill had moved but the faceplate had not gone.....during the testing, some **** pulled the string, hence resetting the kill! I was not a happy bunny, and the bloody numptees couldn't understand why I was annoyed that they didn't give me it, or at least a chance to reshoot the lane.

The other one was when I was told that I could use a bucket if I wanted to go to the toilet at one of last year's GPs - the ensuing rant was not pretty :-)