Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 8th August 2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I can remember when Dave Harrison won the British master back in the 80's & I read about him in the Magazines
You dont look anywhere near old enough Pete !!
Old 8th August 2012, 01:10 PM
Pete Dutton

Originally Posted by stu180101 View Post
You dont look anywhere near old enough Pete !!
I was only a lad......Honest
Old 9th August 2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
In reality HFT was invented as FT, the first FT shoots included lots of camo clad hunters all shooting low mag scopes, most shooting springers some even shooting prone. it was only later that dialing in & large mag scope started being used.
I think that's why a lot of the FT guys mocked HFT when it kicked in properly 10 years ago. They remember the shorter targets and shooting with Tyrolean stocked 77s with 3-9x40 scopes and thought ... " here we go again ... this is just a re run of how FT started " ... and they presumed it would just end up following the same route as FT did and would just blend into it. That's the impression I got from speaking to quite a few older FT lads.

I've seen that old footage on Youtube and that's why I mentioned it. For me Pete Sparkes will always be the 1st pioneer of UKAHFT as it is today. The first I heard of it was when Pete was posting on the Airgun BBS 10 years ago and the odd shoot was being organised around the country and people were invited to attend. He was always firm in his commitment that it would not drift into FT2 and that it would remain a non dialling, non sitting, mainly prone discipline.

There's always been the 'alternative' shoot organised for a more light hearted day ... the junk yard shoot ( shooting through obstacles and around pipes etc ), the reverse hand shots, all kneeling and standing ... even HFT now has it's extreme series with the odd really long target etc ... but UKAHFT gave a genuine dedicated, fully organised option to people who didn't want to shoot sitting and dialling. I know most FT clubs will welcome people to their clubs with the most basic kit but HFT probably offers someone with basic kit a better option to try a knock down target sport and get a reasonable score. Once they've got the, turn up in a wood on a Sunday morning and shoot some targets and have a good laugh bug, then it's up to them whether they stick with basic kit or go full on serious HFT or move into FT, or do both. So, as stated in other posts, I can't see how offering an option ( note not an alternative ) to FT in any country can be a bad thing.

Last edited by skires; 9th August 2012 at 06:55 AM.