Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 18th June 2012, 02:18 PM
Welsh Wizard
Member of: Treetops Sporting Ground
Exclamation Air Arms S400 MPR

Fellow shooters,
Myself and my father have recently became members of treetops sporting centre in Newport, we've been shooting for years, but only now decided to join a club, and take up target shooting. We believe now is the right time to purchase ourselves air rifles, and we've been notified that the Air Arms S400 MPR is the best Rifle for us. The price on the MPR is a little steep for myself as a first time purchaser, is there anyone on here, or knows of someone selling a MPR or two, or can recommend a alternative?

Would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Member of: Purley Chase ftc
Default s400 classic

The mpr is just a s400 classic with a stock that has more adjustment.
Think it may also have a better muzzle brake on the end.
You'll get a second hand s400 for 270-300 and if you get feed up with it you'll get your money back.
wellcome to the sport
About as much use at field target , as a life guard at the Olympic swimming pool.
Old 18th June 2012, 04:29 PM
Aspiring to mediocrity
Member of: MEMBER OF M.A.D

Who told you that the MPR is the best for you?

It is a good gun, but for someone starting out or even a shooter who has been at it a while, a S400 with a adjustable cheek piece is every bit as good and is about 2/3rds of the price.

Also have a look at the HW101.
Somehow I made TEAM ENGLAND 2012 and 2013

Illiterate writer for AirGunner

The real Kung Foo Panda.
Old 18th June 2012, 04:57 PM
Welsh Wizard
Member of: Treetops Sporting Ground

I've been shooting with a S400 MPR at my local club, and i personally think it's a brilliant rifle, and so i've been told by the people that i've shot with, because 90% of them have S400 (and the occasional one has a MPR). I've been ringing around today, and i've found a few friends with a classic S400, so i may ask them if i can have a little shoot with theirs.

I am going to nose around, see if i can find one second hand, or also look at alternatives, such as the HW101 (thank you) Thanks for your advice guys! haha, trying to get my feet on the ground with the new sport

Old 18th June 2012, 05:14 PM
Member of: Quarry Hunters
Default gun

We are away this week on a shoot you are more than welcome to try my walther next week end im sure the other guys wouldnt mind you haveing a shot with there guns steyr,daystate,and many other makes,

Old 18th June 2012, 06:05 PM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Hi Chris,

As long as its the smaller calibre it doesn't matter too much which 400 you buy to be honest.
But I would recommend the S400 for any new starter. Carbine or standard.

I shoot an MPR in HFT and own a couple of 400's and a 410, and they are all capable of being an excellent all round gun.

If you do need a silencer though it might be easier to not buy the MPR, as the standard silencer does not fit staright on and you will need an adaptor. I keep my MPR purely for HFT and shoot a 400 or 410 for hunting.

Oh and the MPR has a few more subtle changes than you might think, as it has a bigger diameter match barrel and a different breach, with a dedicated .177 loading channel, adjustable trigger blade and a stock that I dont like to be honest, and have found uncomfortable so I dont use the MPR stock. Although it has bog standard and simple 400 internals which is a bonus in my opinion.

Hope this helps a little, although as has been said in the posts above, try a few guns out and dont rush to buy unless it feels comfortable.

air arms s400 mpr