Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

View Poll Results: Do you think the alternative dicipline posistion gains an advantage
Yes 95 91.35%
No 9 8.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th May 2012, 08:27 PM
Why do I bother????????
Member of: Darlington RA

Why would it be a "disabled" class??? If there were for example a sitting class, or a free position class, ANYONE could shoot in that class.
Old 20th May 2012, 10:45 PM
Member of: Springfield SEFTA

Originally Posted by LittleJack View Post
well what about a disabled class??? (i understand that you are fiercly competitive and that you love doing it, its quite obvious otherwise as you say you wouldnt drive 300 miles to a shoot). you gotta take a bit and give a bit same as everyone else. if there was a disabled class you would be competing against people exactly the same way as you, the perfect "level playing field"
I think you've misunderstood me, or I've badly worded it . I personally would rather shoot in AA even if I bomb the disciplines, as I want any outside chance at the trophy! If I can be accommodated in AA with an acceptable allowance for my situation that would be great, BUT everyone would need to be in agreement that it's absolutely fair.
If not, and that's where we are now, then I'll still take my chances in the main class in preference to a seated class , but that is MY personal take.

Old 21st May 2012, 05:50 AM
I Love HFT

No matter what a legal challenge decides someone sitting for positional shots will never be accepted morally.
Less is more.

More or less.
Old 21st May 2012, 06:38 AM
Member of: MidShires Marksmen
Default vote

I've put my vote in
Old 21st May 2012, 07:07 AM

vote posted today.
standing for kneelers has cost me 50% of targets as have left handed kneelers.disciplines are disciplines.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:39 AM
NEFTA Chairman
Member of: Anston

Upto the top...just in case anyones missed this and not cast a vote
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:06 AM
Lucky git

I've tried and voted yes.
Chris Cundey

Deleted......i'm only annoying myself by replying........

Last edited by chrisc; 23rd May 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:41 AM
Member of: Pontefract

I voted yes

Mick Jarvis 42313
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:53 AM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

I voted yes, although a while back I conducted a test indoors.

Indoors,I has a flat floor in windless conditions; I tried both alternative positions against the standard positions.

It was the first time I tried them and I found them very alien and therefore difficult to establish the same comfort (and muscle memory/body position). I actually achieved slightly better results using the normal positions.

However, after reading this thread and after a couple of days testing the alternative positions outside and in windy conditions, I found them to have beneficial results.
I don't like the alternative kneeler and I focused solely on the alternative stander, once I built up some muscle memory and a body position which was repeatable, I began to see excellent results.

The reason is/was with practice and mainly due to the outdoor nature of the sport, I found the key ingredient to the advantage of the alternative stander to be; it provided a much lower, wider and significantly stable base. Being lower and more compact, the wind effected my position far less and the gun was not buffeted by the wind as it would in upright standers. Even in a slight wind I got better results.
Also due to the uneven footing and variey of different vegetation (hard/soft/rocky/wet/muddy/slippy) the sitting alternative proved more stable than just two feet being in contact with the ground.

I still get better results using my proper kneeling position than the alternative but I would suggest that I have achieved what is a good position over years of practice. Perhaps a beginner (or someone with a bad kneeling technique) would achieve an advantage using the alternative position. Iin a strong wind the alternative kneeler would offer a slightly more stable platform.

Conor McFlynn
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!

Last edited by Conor; 23rd May 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:53 PM
Boingers forever.
Member of: Far Coley

Tried it at the club today, certainly gave me an advantage...
Neil Thorneycroft 20517