Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 20th May 2012, 03:40 PM
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers FTC

Hi Helen, sorry only just found out you finally had your op. sounds like you are recovering well, just don't over do it will you. You'll soon be back throwing lead at the steel, just think of beating me silly (target wise that is !) that should help you !
All our love from the club, wishing you a speedy recovery,
Mick and the Buccaneers
Old 28th June 2012, 01:23 PM
Mr. Kipling has nothing on me
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, South Dorset, Parkstone
Default Bowled over by all the messages

Hello All,

Firstly thank you so much for all the well wishes. I have been truly bowled over by everyones kind words.

Rob has probably updated many of you on my progress, or lack there of so far - and is probably blaming his recent low - ahem - scores on my relapse - do not accept any excuses, just because I cannot be there to coach him is no reason for the scores to wain!!! lol

The inital op went well and I escaped from the hospital after 48 hours. Shimmying down the drain pipe may have been my let down come to think of it!!! I made excellent recovery steps over the first 2-3 weeks and actually was walking upright and walking with no pain for short periods of time, both of which I have not had for nearly a decade!!! I was doing small walks and set exercises, a far cry from my usual cycling routine, but although minimal the pain was slowly decreasing !!!

Unfortunatly I then took a rapid turn for the worse and over several days was reduced to rapid onset of pain when walking and I am now worse than before I went in!!! Bugger!!!!

I am now playing a waiting game, I have an MRI scan due in 4 weeks and they are going to inject me with some dye to allow better pictures of what is going on. Currently I have been advised to do even less than I initially was after the op to reduce as much inflammation as poss for the scan. Surgeon thinks that as my back is phenominally weak that the disc has prolapsed again. Dratt and Double Dratt!!!!

I have had 3 weeks of being very low, but I cant be kept down for long and am now feeling more positive as once I have this scan my surgeon is very confident that he will be able to see clearly what has happened and a second surgery is not a problem or it could even be a prolonged physio and recovery as the nerves could simply be taking much longer than the norm to settle. Failing that even fusion surgery is possible as my back and core simply are not functioning properly due to the amount of years I have had the issue. A repeated surgery may not solve the problem as it could re occur again so the next step up would be taken. I have been warned about nerve scarring, but the pain and window of onset does not tally with this so although a minimal possibility not a likely contender. Still whatever has to be done I want it done so I can start getting strong again - at this rate I will die of bordom, you will know it is all over if you hear of me sat in a corner rocking and talking to myself - Damn Already doing that!!!!

I cant wait until I can actually throw myself into a physio and fitness regime as I can then feel better for being active and physically help myself get better, and see the gradual impovements. The hardest part is knowing I am treading water and not actually working to getting better at the moment, simply waiting for a test.

Besides I have to start getting better soon as I have FT trophies to win, cycling races to complete and a whole long list of things I am planning to do in the not too near future!!!!

Thanks again for everyones messages on the several threads that ran, all the well wishes sent via my personal butler Rob from the GP's and all the other messages I have received. It has worked wonders for the morale and whenever I feel low I read all the messages and the smile returns.

I cannot travel as yet, cars are my nemisis (along with socks - cannot put the damn things on as I cant reach my feet!!!) but as soon as I can I will come and heckle you all

Big Hugs Helen xxx
Miss Helen England
Southampton Buccaneers FTC Treasurer, CSFTA Treasurer, Lucky Shot and Cake Maker!!
Old 28th June 2012, 01:32 PM
Self appointed antipimp
Member of: Bisley

Get well soon my dear, you sound like my Mother in law she has just had the same op. Keep the serving boy working hard looking after you.
Gone racing
Old 28th June 2012, 01:52 PM
Member of: Far Coley Ftc

Get well soon my Helen,

You can giving Rob some coaching he needs it
Old 28th June 2012, 02:07 PM
I like Feinwerkbau's
Member of: Tawd Vale FT&ARC

Don't let the b....ds grind you down Helen and make sure you get well soon. Rob is in dire need of some coaching just lately (even my scores are better) as for the sitting in the corner rocking and talking to yerself? aint that normal behaviour? it is in our house
From all the Tawd crew
2012 BFTA B grade Champion
Tawd Vale Field Target and Air Rifle club
Proud to be the home of British and World Champions
Support the growth of Field Target in your NorthWest clubs.
This aint a dry run, if you dont do it now you wont get another chance!
Old 28th June 2012, 02:09 PM
Weerach ninja
Member of: Pontefract ARC.

Hang in there, try to do what the doc's say... i know it's hard to reign yourself in as i suffer from the same disease. The waiting game is not a nice game to play, i hated it, still do, but it has to be done and hopefully it won't be too long before you're back to full fitness.
NSRA Club coach
International panel beater extraordinare
NHS pin cushion
Old 28th June 2012, 04:50 PM

ditto really, take the docs advice and lay low - I know it is not easy, but get well soon
Old 28th June 2012, 04:54 PM
Member of: Harriers

Hi Helen,

best wishes and hope to see you back shooting soon!

Old 28th June 2012, 06:17 PM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

Hope it all gets sorted soon Helen and you can get back to doing all the things you are missing

Old 28th June 2012, 06:40 PM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Please ?

Helen , please take as long as possible getting your self back into FT . i am getting my *** kicked by enough peoiple as it is ? then get out there and bite there ankles ??? HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "