Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 28th March 2012, 01:36 PM
Default Trying to help my friend upgrade

Here's a poser for you all:

My friend has a BSA Meteor MK7 .22, we chrono'd it and it was putting out 9.5ftlb with RWS Superdomes. He's mainly plinking, but wants to shoot rabbits in his back yard (max range, 40 yards) occasionally.

We thought it might be worth tuning up the Meteor, but I've changed tack and told him to get a new rifle - he's coming around to the idea, but he's only going to buy a springer (or gas-ram), and he wants a british gun (can't fault him for that, he gave me such stick when I told him I'd bought a German one!) Oh, and he says "if I can shoot a cannon, why would I buy a deringer?" so he want's .22

What would you choose? I've been telling him to get an Air-Arms TX200 or Pro-Sport, but seperating him from his money will be a challenge. He seems stuck on the idea that BSA are good, so wants another of them. He's going to have a go with my HW97K at the weekend

Any recommendations and/or arguments that would sway him would be helpful! Some reviews/comparisons might also help - tia
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 28th March 2012, 03:53 PM
Member of: Cambridge HFT

Tell him BSA are now spanish as most if not all guns are assembled in spain Then reintroduce the TX/Pro-Sport into the equation.

If he doesn't want to part with his cash a simple strip down and proper relube will do suffice in the meteor. Providing of course the spring isn't broken then a quick phone call to chambers will be required.

Have a quick search through the tinternet on guides for job in hand. Also he may want to join BSAOG forum.

AATX200 .177
Old 28th March 2012, 05:04 PM

He's a compete luddite - totally technology defficient. I told him about the BSA's being Spanish made, he just said "The barrel's made in Birmingham"

Told him about TX and Prosport, but he wants a break barrel :rolleyese:

Also told him about Theoben Evolution as well (he doesn't want a carbine, says full length barrel rifle's look better)

Where are Theoben's (and their barrels) made? I understand that Air-Arms barrels are German (Lothar-Walther iirc)
Old 28th March 2012, 06:44 PM
Member of: Harriers

Tell him a HW95 comes from Hull

A nice break barrel rifle.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:19 PM

LOL! Yes, my HW97K is stamped "HULL CARTRIDGE" on the barrel, it must be british - I'll point that out to him on Saturday