Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 6th January 2012, 01:26 PM
Default Hawke Tac30 10x42 or Lightstream 4-14x44ffp

Oh the dilemas that shooting puts our ways.
Looking to make my mind up for the scope for the Platinum. I already have a 10x42 on the R10, and have a spare one. Do i go for a secondhand Lightstream or use the Hawke?
I am used to the half mildot, but the optics on the lightstream seem so much better. So do i learn a new gun,scope and pellet for this year.
Or should I stick with the R10 set up

Dont want to let my fellow MAD team mates down
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 6th January 2012, 01:45 PM
Getting dusty

Simon if you want to borrow a Lightstream for a bit I can lend you one for a couple of months to save your wallet? At least you won't need to alter a rig you already know well.
Old 6th January 2012, 01:57 PM
Default cheers

Thanks for the very kind offer Ryan.
I already have use of the lightstream i am looking at buying, and i am impressed no end. I thought i would ask those with a lot more experience than me which route tbey would go down.
I have used the plat/lightstream combo a few times now and first time out at MAD got 49. That was a course trialling the proposed new ukahft rules. I supose its gonna be try it and see.
Thanks again for the offer mate.
Old 6th January 2012, 02:49 PM
Old Git.
Member of: Redfearns FTC. Darlington RA.

Regarding the Lightstream scope, best to use on 8x mag as I found parallax error if used any higher, but they are a razor sharp scope.
Old 6th January 2012, 04:10 PM
Pete Dutton

For the same eye movement off perfect centre the Lightstream has no more parallax error than say the bushnell 6500, it does however allow you to move off the centre a massive amount whilst still retaining the sight picture which gives more extreme potential for parallax error, in the tests I did we are usually talking a max of 5mm off centre in normal HFT shooting conditions.

I have a lightstream I use for the Extreme Comps as my little Leup gives a slightly better image & less parallax error due to the smaller objective.

My choice between the Lightstream & the Hawke would be the Lightstream every time as the Hawke isn't in the same league optically & gave me a headache after 5mins of use, the only negative points for the lightstream is they are very long and the mildots are a little too thick for my liking