Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Scene > News and Results

News and Results The latest shooting news...

Old 11th October 2017, 07:23 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Exclamation Home Office to review air weapons regulation in England and Wales

Home Office to review air weapons regulation in England and Wales

The government is to review the regulation of air weapons licensing, following a request from the Suffolk coroner

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...land-and-wales
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11th October 2017, 08:59 AM

Default Laws

We have in place laws to cover all existing Firearms and Air weapons as they call them. New or further restrictions will not prevent the few irresponsible persons that flout the laws that are in place. I all ways find it hard to understand that when someone is hurt by an air weapon there seems to be uproar to ban or licence air weapons. Little Johny got run over by boy racer this morning, are the masses asking for a ban on lowered souped up corsa/clio or any other car. No! Maybe a better way would be to get the responsible owners to make sure that they record who they purchase from and who they sell to as do the RFDs if they are unsure who they are selling to do not sell to them. We will never as a country prevent air weapons getting in to irresponsible hands but as law abiding users we can try to minimise it as much as possible. I do not feel places such as free adds etc help as any Tom **** Or Harry seems to be able to sell anything with very few restrictions. Maybe the authorities should be looking at those, so that the few idiots are prevented from getting or using one recklessly. We also need some people that are highly looked upon in the shooting community to represent our past time. Names you can all decide to put forward Ie Terry Doe/ Brian Sampson etc etc as they have vast knowledge of every ones needs uses etc.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:20 AM

Member of: Avon Hawks

I'd rather the BASC, BFTA, NSRA, UKHFTA and other organisations represent my views to the law makers than people like Terry Doe, who may have a long and well respected history within the industry, but also got the call disastrously wrong on the subject of Steyr self loading pistols and rifles, choosing to listen to and extremely vocally represent the trade, rather than the legal team at the BASC.

I will be writing to my MP about this, as licensing is unnecessary, costly and will do nothing to improve safety.
Old 11th October 2017, 11:21 AM

Member of: Furnace mill, & Kingsley HFT
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
I'd rather the BASC, BFTA, NSRA, UKHFTA and other organisations represent my views to the law makers than people like Terry Doe, who may have a long and well respected history within the industry, but also got the call disastrously wrong on the subject of Steyr self loading pistols and rifles, choosing to listen to and extremely vocally represent the trade, rather than the legal team at the BASC.

I will be writing to my MP about this, as licensing is unnecessary, costly and will do nothing to improve safety.
Sums it up for me ! Great post Neilm.
All in .177 :D
Old 11th October 2017, 01:38 PM

Member of: SCOTIA FTC

Quote:

The cost didn't stop the SNP led Scottish government Neil it's all about votes at the end of the day it's how they can spin it to the public saying that they are looking out for public safety, it was a shambles in Scotland to begin with but they eventually caught up with all the applications although all applications are processed in Glasgow which is crazy I hope it doesn't happen but if it does it will be a logistical nightmare.
Old 11th October 2017, 03:19 PM

Member of: Avon Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
The cost didn't stop the SNP led Scottish government Neil it's all about votes at the end of the day it's how they can spin it to the public saying that they are looking out for public safety, it was a shambles in Scotland to begin with but they eventually caught up with all the applications although all applications are processed in Glasgow which is crazy I hope it doesn't happen but if it does it will be a logistical nightmare.
Same as the compensation cost for all the hand guns that were made illegal, for no good reason and to no effect. As you say, it allows the politicians to say 'look what we have done to keep you safe', regardless of whether the law / license / initiative actually achieves anything... which it never does.
Old 11th October 2017, 03:43 PM

Member of: SCOTIA FTC

Quote:
Same as the compensation cost for all the hand guns that were made illegal, for no good reason and to no effect. As you say, it allows the politicians to say 'look what we have done to keep you safe', regardless of whether the law / license / initiative actually achieves anything... which it never does.
Very true Neil.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:41 PM
Red Dwarf

Member of: Grampian arc

Tbh licensing isn't a bad thing, it's the fear of the unknown that presses peoples buttons, but ultimately the crime that's is committed with air weapons doesn't change, honest people pay the cost that's the bottom line.

Air Arms MPR Custom stock/Rhino 2.5-10x26

2014/15/16/17 Scottish Team
Old 11th October 2017, 08:16 PM

Member of: Kingsley

Jedi, how does the licencing work in Scotland, is it like firearms licencing with one licence having an entry for each air rifle/pistol owned?
How long is a licence valid etc, etc.

Thanks,

Ian
Old 11th October 2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what barn door View Post
Jedi, how does the licencing work in Scotland, is it like firearms licencing with one licence having an entry for each air rifle/pistol owned?
How long is a licence valid etc, etc.

Thanks,

Ian
Info here:

http://airweapon.scot/