Shooting the breeze Best fittings sponsors UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > UKAHFT Official Forum

UKAHFT Official Forum United Kingdom Association of Hunter Field Target

Old 30th September 2017, 01:24 PM

Member of: Currently looking!
Default HFT Crash course?

I'm new to hft and was wondering if it might be possible to find someone to give me a crash course, over a couple of days. Possibly next week? Appreciate it's mega short notice, but I've got Tues to Thursday off.

The main issue is that weekends don't really work for me, for various reasons. So I'm wondering if you know of anyone who might could be prepared to do a couple of days of coaching? Obviously I'd be happy to pay for their time and I don't mind traveling. I live in Cambridge, if that's of any help and can borrow a s410.

I did a reasonable of Rimfire and centerfire rifle shooting as a teenager and into my 20s with the Cadets and the RAF, including some target shooting. So I wouldn't be starting for an absolute beginner, I remember most of the marksmanship principles...

What do you think? Any suggestions? I appreciate it's a bit of a ask.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 30th September 2017, 01:33 PM

Member of: Cambridge HFT

Hi Russ
I know weekends dont work for you but if you get the chance in the future we shoot the 2nd and 4th sunday in the month. We always advertise the shoots on here.
Regards
Matt
Old 30th September 2017, 02:09 PM

Member of: Bideford, Shebbear

Hi, trying to shoot HFT without shooting weekends might not be that easy as alot of club shoots and competitions tend to be on Sundays. Hopefully there's a club near you that has a permanent course up. The down side of that is it becomes less challenging unless it's regulary changed.
Good luck anyway.
Old 30th September 2017, 02:53 PM

Pm sent.....................
Old 30th September 2017, 06:51 PM

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to come along to Shepreth.
Old 30th September 2017, 08:43 PM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Have you read Brian Samsons Novice to Ninja (see link below).......lots of good tips, the other is to learn the rules as a guide to distances for the targets and kill sizes, HFT is not just skill and technique, but about knowing your kit and having a suitable gun and fit to reduce errors, and suitable scope set up to get the best advantage for range finding and and reduced PX error.

http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/category/...vice-to-ninja/
Old 30th September 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regsie View Post
Hi Russ
I know weekends dont work for you but if you get the chance in the future we shoot the 2nd and 4th sunday in the month. We always advertise the shoots on here.
Regards
Matt
Yes I have seen that series, looks excellent!

In the past (in other disciplines) I've found there to be no real substitute for a concentrated learning experience with someone knowledgeable. For example, my other hobby is fly fishing and I found the few sessions I've had with guides have accelerated my learning and saved many months of trial and error. Clearly there is not the same tradition of coaching and formal guidance in HFT, and that's understandable. I just wondered.

I'm ever so grateful for the replies I've had, thank you all.

R
Old 1st October 2017, 09:13 AM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russfx View Post
Yes I have seen that series, looks excellent!

In the past (in other disciplines) I've found there to be no real substitute for a concentrated learning experience with someone knowledgeable. For example, my other hobby is fly fishing and I found the few sessions I've had with guides have accelerated my learning and saved many months of trial and error. Clearly there is not the same tradition of coaching and formal guidance in HFT, and that's understandable. I just wondered.

I'm ever so grateful for the replies I've had, thank you all.

R
I know where you are coming from with the coaching, but I know when you start up the experienced shooters will coach you round a course, I always try and help new HFT shooters and certainly most of my team mates and friends do.
Don't forget it's a fun sport too and even though it can be very competitive if you want it to be, but everyone will help you and offer advice. As mentioned in posts above, joining a good HFT/FT club will help more than anything. Good luck.

If you can get up to the Doncaster airgun range I am sure Brian Samson will help you when he is available if you speak to him first, and he has run a few workshop classes on his Novice to Ninja guide.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 1st October 2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 1st October 2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
I know where you are coming from with the coaching, but I know when you start up the experienced shooters will coach you round a course, I always try and help new HFT shooters and certainly most of my team mates and friends do.
Don't forget it's a fun sport too and even though it can be very competitive if you want it to be, but everyone will help you and offer advice. As mentioned in posts above, joining a good HFT/FT club will help more than anything. Good luck.

If you can get up to the Doncaster airgun range I am sure Brian Samson will help you when he is available if you speak to him first, and he has run a few workshop classes on his Novice to Ninja guide.
Thank you, yes I've been in touch with Brian who was very kind with his advice. It's so encouraging to see what a great community this sport has!