Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

View Poll Results: HW77(laminate stock) or TX200.
HW77 (laminate stock) 6 18.18%
TX200 19 57.58%
Other - please specify with a post 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th July 2012, 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=springer34;96650]Trigger is rubbish on the tx the 77 has the far better trigger.

Have you ever used one that's been sorted mate? I can only speak for mine but the trigger on my TX would match any rekord unit going.
Don't get me wrong you can get the rekords nice, the best one I've had is when Steve Gillies has worked on them but having to adjust the first stage by bending a bar against or away from the trigger is crude by anybody's standard and the TXs unit is much better built.
Rubbish they certainly aren't

Dave
Old 17th July 2012, 11:09 PM

Member of: Castle ftc

[QUOTE=D Martin;96688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer34 View Post
Trigger is rubbish on the tx the 77 has the far better trigger.

Have you ever used one that's been sorted mate? I can only speak for mine but the trigger on my TX would match any rekord unit going.
Don't get me wrong you can get the rekords nice, the best one I've had is when Steve Gillies has worked on them but having to adjust the first stage by bending a bar against or away from the trigger is crude by anybody's standard and the TXs unit is much better built.
Rubbish they certainly aren't

Dave
totally agree, i own a tx200 and a hw77, The trigger on the tx is a lot better
Old 18th July 2012, 05:19 AM
anschutz 9003

My 77 was fully sorted i.e vmack nice stock so on how do you think the trigger is better on a tx i dont have to drop my 77 out of the stock to sort the trigger do i? Anyway no matter what i say to prove what ive said you like the tx so your going to argue the case till your blue in the face as it suites you,i just like the 77 as ive tried both hate the loading port and the trigger its that simple,the first film is always the best 2-3 so on are always just never as good
Old 18th July 2012, 07:49 AM

I like and have owned both rifles mate it's just that i.m.o airarms have taken a great design and improved it even more but like you say it's a matter of personal choice.

Dave
Old 18th July 2012, 07:51 AM
Weerach ninja

Member of: Pontefract ARC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHIZZLE View Post
Hi springer enthusiasts!

What would you say is the best springer? I will be on the lookout for a decent springer in the near future and have narrowed it down to either the TX200 or the HW77 (laminate stock) but I could be persuaded to check out others. I will be using it mainly for plinking, probably without scope but not sure yet.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
The best springer would have to be a Whiscombe, or FWB 300.
Of the two you mention, for the use you want then that just leaves the HW77 as the TX doesn't have open sights. Look also at the HW57 as it too has open sights fitted. Not sure about the Diana's, BSA's etc...
As to the ever ongoing TX v's HW debate.. it doesn't really matter, shoot whichever one suits you BEST, that's the BEST ONE! Not the one that someone else recomends, the one that last won the outer mongolian champoinships.. etc...

When i started shooting boingers again i bought an AA Pro-sport, purely because i liked the look of them, shot it a few years, had it V-MACH'd and it was great, won some stuff with it and generally enjoyed shooting the gun. But i never had the trigger set up exactly as I wanted it, i even enlisted the help of a couple of AA savvy shooters to set it up for me, all to no avail.
So when i got ready for a change i bought a HW97K, accuracy wise i couldn't tell the difference, neither are particularly difficult to strip and work on, but personally i found the HW's trigger much easier for me to adjust and set up. I also don't get any POI shift/hold sensitivity when changing position with the HW like i did with the PS. But that's just me, and my personal experience with the guns i've owned.
Old 18th July 2012, 02:28 PM

Member of: BFTO -Bisley
Default Springer

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. I have a lot to think about. I never even heard of a Whiscombe before but it seems unlikely I will be buying one if those (How much??????). I will take the advice of Mr Gillies and speak to a few of my club members and try to nab a go on their springers, there seems to be loads of people at Bisley who are into them.

I have to be honest, out of all of them, I'm still pretty keen on the HW77 in the Colour Laminate stock. I just love the look of it. However- I'm not sure about the cheek comb being so low. I'd like the option of a scope if I turn out to be crap with the open sights
Old 18th July 2012, 04:49 PM
Boingers forever.

Member of: Far Coley

Prosport must be one...if not the best springer out there. Fettled of course. Although I did once own a TX MK2 which won me 2nd place in the NEFTA Classic a few years ago.
Old 21st July 2012, 05:19 PM
Sparky's Bodyguard

Springers are the work of the devil and should be burnt.
Old 21st July 2012, 10:56 PM

TX or Prosport. AA triggers are far better than HW out of the box and easier to diy. AA triggers are fully adjustable via screws ,and are more refined than HW.AA rifles are also easier to strip. If you intend to use open sights it will limit your range,imho scopes are the way to go.If you are just shooting at short range buy a pistol.