Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 17th September 2013, 10:26 PM

Member of: NOFTC CRPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I might just try Open Class, right after hell freezes over and my bo**ocks drop off.
hahahaha - so not surprised.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:37 PM
A sip of tea in the ocean

Member of: Greyhound
Talking confused

[QUOTE=AIRFIX GILLY;136879]The new Winter League grades are now up to date and available to see.

Any MFTA shooter who feels their grade is borderline and wishes to upgrade please contact me before the

Series starts.

A grade is looking very `full` with several shooters close to 85% mark. Same in B grade too with several

shooters close.

Have one or two bad shoots effected your grade?

Several shooters have already upgraded.

Lets try to make 2013/14 as sporting as possible by shooting in your appropriate grade.

I am a bit confused , after coming back to FT after a 16 year break I have found it takes a while to get settled with gun etc and you dont automatically go straight back into A grade.I now have my left handed stock and learning my kit etc. After starting back after a couple of shoots I went into B then after the regrading missed it by .3 % and went into c then shot the whole of the gp series, euros and just finished 1% off B. I am totally confused I have people telling me to move to B, as that is where i deserve to be (excuse the punn) and others telling me that to stay in the grade of C which is where the grading system has elected me to be in and because i have done all the big shoots its a true reflection of my grade and will make a mockery of the grading system if we all decided to move up etc.I finished 6 in my first MFTA B grade winter league last year and 5th in the gp series in c this year , confused I am . Either way I love my shooting and I will get there in the end, and i have loved it all and your kind help , but views would be appreciated please
Old 17th September 2013, 10:39 PM

Member of: Castle ftc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR 100 View Post
Does that mean your Giving Fisher 5 head start, Go on Yar Gilly
I don't need headstarts simon, 2012/2013 mfta winter league final scores ME 593 & Gilly 592...
will you be handing your score cards in this winter, cus in the last year ive lost count of the times
you have made them disappear... I would say your true grade is A grade....but you don't seem to play the game like the rest of us...
And opting to move up from A grade to AA just seems wrong to me....A person should earn the right to shoot in AA buy reaching the standard
required.....Can Leicester city football club opt to move up to the premiership from the championship........No!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ellis d; 17th September 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 18th September 2013, 08:09 AM

Member of: Harriers

I am a bit confused , after coming back to FT after a 16 year break I have found it takes a while to get settled with gun etc and you dont automatically go straight back into A grade.I now have my left handed stock and learning my kit etc. After starting back after a couple of shoots I went into B then after the regrading missed it by .3 % and went into c then shot the whole of the gp series, euros and just finished 1% off B. I am totally confused I have people telling me to move to B, as that is where i deserve to be (excuse the punn) and others telling me that to stay in the grade of C which is where the grading system has elected me to be in and because i have done all the big shoots its a true reflection of my grade and will make a mockery of the grading system if we all decided to move up etc.I finished 6 in my first MFTA B grade winter league last year and 5th in the gp series in c this year , confused I am . Either way I love my shooting and I will get there in the end, and i have loved it all and your kind help , but views would be appreciated please

Hi Sue,

IMO you should shoot in your grade and continue to enjoy your shooting.

The main contest in the MFTA is being in the top 15 and representing the region at the inters. This contest is not graded so anyone who is good enough can qualify irrespective of their grade.

Shaun
Old 18th September 2013, 08:25 AM
WFTA World Champion 2012

Member of: Castle
Default explanation

I am a bit confused , after coming back to FT after a 16 year break I have found it takes a while to get settled with gun etc and you dont automatically go straight back into A grade.I now have my left handed stock and learning my kit etc. After starting back after a couple of shoots I went into B then after the regrading missed it by .3 % and went into c then shot the whole of the gp series, euros and just finished 1% off B. I am totally confused I have people telling me to move to B, as that is where i deserve to be (excuse the punn) and others telling me that to stay in the grade of C which is where the grading system has elected me to be in and because i have done all the big shoots its a true reflection of my grade and will make a mockery of the grading system if we all decided to move up etc.I finished 6 in my first MFTA B grade winter league last year and 5th in the gp series in c this year , confused I am . Either way I love my shooting and I will get there in the end, and i have loved it all and your kind help , but views would be appreciated please[/QUOTE]

Sue, I`ll try and explain the idea behind the thread.

Firstly, its optional for any shooter to voluntarily upgrade if they feel their grade is incorrect.

Now this may happen for several reasons.

lets take you as an example..... You have missed out on B by just 1% over 20 shoots. Now that not much is it? Maybe just one or two more targets here and there would have got you into B by merit. Now you say that during this last rolling twenty earlier on you have been getting used to your new stock. Maybe this fact alone was the reason your early scores were lower than your ability actually is? Were you under the weather for the odd shoot and put in a really low score? Maybe a few poor scores after using a new stock for the first time have pulled you into C. However, now your confident with your new stock your current scores may or should reflect your true grade which is B.

Another reason maybe that a shooter as significantly upgraded their kit in the last few month and is now putting in higher scores for that reason but are currently in C after months of using an inferior gun or scope. Once again they would be in the wrong grade for the start of the winter league.

Hope this clears up your confusion,

Gilly,

MFTA Comp man.

Last edited by AIRFIX GILLY; 18th September 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:39 AM

Default Still confused & new stock

Gilly thank you for your kind reply , I do think the new stock has made a differance, but the Euro's was it's second outing, so if the euros count as two scores, thats only two out of my rolling twenty, as its first outing was castle the week before. I am just a bit confused by it all, its like' I am dammed if I do and dammed if I dont'. As some people are telling me to shoot the grade I am allocated to be in and others are telling me to shoot in B as that is a true reflection of my grade? but to me if I have shot the gp's and handed all my cards in which I have, isnt my grade that I am in the correct one, I was gutted to not get into B.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:14 PM
Boingers forever.

Member of: Far Coley

Hi Sue, great to shoot with you at th Euros on Sunday , we had a great time didn't we. X.

At the end of the day the choice is yours babe. Your percentages say you are in C, and I for one will not pass judgement if you shoot in that grade. Personally I think you will shoot better in B as it will make you try just that bit better to get a good placement in this grade, which I think is acheivable as you are a good shot, amd this will be a good benchmark for you. We all have one or two shoots we are are not happy with, but if you give yourself a little bit of a target to aim for ( no pun intended) then a good placement in B would be it. You could give it a go in B and see how you get on during the WL, if it doesn't work out and your percentage doesn't improve then go back to C.

As you know, I have shot piston class during the GPs and my percentages say I'm in A at 80.7%, if I went back to shooting PCP I would always opt to put myself in AA just to make me try that bit harder to get a better average and hopefully one day get into AA on my own merit.

All the best. Neil.
http://www.farcoleyftc.co.uk/#
Old 18th September 2013, 12:30 PM
anschutz 9003

Hi sue neils post is spot on, but we have had this conversation many times hun the thing is a gradeing system is there for a reason and if we just opt to jump in any grade I don't think we are doing ourselves any favours at the end of the day many people who are in higher grades throw there cards just to stay in the grade they don't deserve to be in you never have, myself though I now how much better I could of been or got if I was still shooting, I know I would of been in a grade or whatever at some point but I just wanted to earn my grade not put myself in a grade I have not earned no matter by what percent I missed it by, it doesn't matter what you do sue you will do well no matter what grade your in its your choice no one elses.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:58 PM

Member of: Redfearns FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer34 View Post
manypeople who are in higher grades throw there cards just to stay in the grade they don't deserve to be in
*some

Dave.
Old 18th September 2013, 03:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-T View Post
Hi Sue, great to shoot with you at th Euros on Sunday , we had a great time didn't we. X.

At the end of the day the choice is yours babe. Your percentages say you are in C, and I for one will not pass judgement if you shoot in that grade. Personally I think you will shoot better in B as it will make you try just that bit better to get a good placement in this grade, which I think is acheivable as you are a good shot, amd this will be a good benchmark for you. We all have one or two shoots we are are not happy with, but if you give yourself a little bit of a target to aim for ( no pun intended) then a good placement in B would be it. You could give it a go in B and see how you get on during the WL, if it doesn't work out and your percentage doesn't improve then go back to C.

As you know, I have shot piston class during the GPs and my percentages say I'm in A at 80.7%, if I went back to shooting PCP I would always opt to put myself in AA just to make me try that bit harder to get a better average and hopefully one day get into AA on my own merit.

All the best. Neil.
We had a blast Neil, I really enjoyed shooting with you , and my nerves did settle after a while. It was amazing we shot the same scores on both days, you are a joy to shoot with