Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range/  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 30th March 2016, 10:33 PM
Aspiring to mediocrity

Member of: MEMBER OF M.A.D

I actually meant to put £2000 rigs but it would appear that I have fat fingers to go with the rest of me

Illiterate writer for AirGunner

The real Kung Foo Panda.

Spring may be my thing...
Old 30th March 2016, 10:34 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
Don't forget a previous champion wasn't in the red group and won as a relative unknown. It is the FA cup shot over a mere two rounds, I believe that will happen again some nknown, will get a weather break and win. There were two people not in Red group who I would have bet on winning happily this year, weather allowing.

Set Bravo and shot Alpha don't personally feel there was any difference in their difficulty. Where you might be on either course at any particular weather window might however have had a bearing on your score.

Monkey
Some times the weather causes a different shot for every shooter on any course at any moment especially when its gusting , reading the wind and spotting traps are a skill set we all need to, aquire,

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals, Sake-San's lube regime.
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?
Old 30th March 2016, 10:46 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksure View Post
Mate, I'm not having a dig, we were all super stoked about coming to the worlds and if this had not happened many of us would not be aware that we ARE NOT shooting on the same course at the same time as the best in the country. I'm not going in to detail, if you get it you do already....see you at the Masters. ( My wife drives a 16 yr old car and in our group we all paid around £350 pounds, because it was something special, however I can shoot with some of the very best in the country whenever I like so if I pay attention maybe one day I'll get to beat one of the best, just like my wife has done before on a good day, but she didn't get the chance either. I also have won my local HFT league but as .22 against very little (but high quality opposition, eh Mikey?) and wanted to meet and speak to other TOP .22ers and see what I done on the same course at the same time. Because you only know how good you are when you shoot against the best. Mate I am super positive about shooting...please don't lay any of that have a dig business on me.
Not sure what your beef is, but we all get to shoot all of the targets, just at different times. What matters is when the scores are totted up. Your group might have better, worse or the same conditions as the champion, that could happen even if you are shooting the same course, as weather and wind changes so quickly.

You are shooting against the best and that is reflected when the scores are put up. You just may not be holding hands all the way through the 2 days.

I must say in 8 Worlds, I have never heard anyone take your viewpoint or even thought about it. Main thing is to get your head down, shoot as best as you can and enjoy some inter peg banter. It's what keeps us coming back, because if you can string a few solid pegs together over both days, then a top placing can be yours ( I don't include myself in that as I have failed consistently but it's always worth trying).
Old 30th March 2016, 10:59 PM
Little French Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksure View Post
Mate, I'm not having a dig, we were all super stoked about coming to the worlds and if this had not happened many of us would not be aware that we ARE NOT shooting on the same course at the same time as the best in the country. I'm not going in to detail, if you get it you do already....see you at the Masters. ( My wife drives a 16 yr old car and in our group we all paid around £350 pounds, because it was something special, however I can shoot with some of the very best in the country whenever I like so if I pay attention maybe one day I'll get to beat one of the best, just like my wife has done before on a good day, but she didn't get the chance either. I also have won my local HFT league but as .22 against very little (but high quality opposition, eh Mikey?) and wanted to meet and speak to other TOP .22ers and see what I done on the same course at the same time. Because you only know how good you are when you shoot against the best. Mate I am super positive about shooting...please don't lay any of that have a dig business on me.
Your post does come across as sour grapes in my opinion and I think you would be better trying tiddlywinks. Around 90% of the shooters who do the national and worlds know that they probably are never going to win it but turn up and shoot because the enjoy it as a hobby. Most of them will spend a small fortune over the season to travel around the country to attend the shoots to have fun with like minded people. The other thing is that the organisation that goes into shoots like the worlds is second to none as all the normal shooter has to do is turn up and shoot. Many people give up there time to ensure that there are 2 courses to shoot all the booking in process is done and all the rest of it that goes with it. Its posts like yours that make the people who work so hard over the years to put shoots on think its not worth the bother.

regards
bomber.

PROUD USER OF RICK ARDEN MOUNTS AND PD FETTLED STEYR.
Old 30th March 2016, 11:04 PM
experiendum durius

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

I got a pin badge with WHFTA on it, shot 46 with no doughnuts, enjoyed Mark and John's company going around Bravo.....that'll do me. Thanks to the Petes and everyone else involved. Shame the weather was Sh1te but that's Britain for you! 'Nuff said!
Old 1st April 2016, 07:04 PM

Member of: M.A.D.

[QUOTE=BOMBER;230417 Around 90% of the shooters who do the national and worlds know that they probably are never going to win it but turn up and shoot because the enjoy it as a hobby. Most of them will spend a small fortune over the season to travel around the country to attend the shoots to have fun with like minded people.
regards

That's me!! Have been shooting Nationals now for 10 years. Scores are average, but just love the camaraderie and banter that exists in the UKAHFT and Worlds shoots! Would not give this hobby up for anything!
Old 1st April 2016, 08:28 PM

Member of: KSG, Misfits

A shame you feel the way you do, I've been shooting the Worlds since they started and HFT for about 10 years.
I like to think that I can class a lot of the top shots in the country as friends yet I never shoot in the same session as them and if the truth be told I wouldn't really want too.

Can't think of anything worse than going round with Tench watching him knock target after target down whilst I plate everything.

Just go out enjoy your shooting maybe offer to help out and Marshal a session or two, get to know the top shots and watch them as they go round whilst your marshalling.
Why not embrace the sport rather than moan about it.
Old 1st April 2016, 08:50 PM

Member of: Kingsley

Cocksure,

I am lucky enough to have joined Kingsley HFT recently and get to shoot alongside Tench, Ross, Micky, Dave and Shirly, Ian etc they are all very good shots and they all enjoy shooting, not one of the names mentioned above moaned about the worlds, they were all positive about the experience and sad that they didn't get to shoot on the Monday.

So cocksure get your ar5e into gear and get to Kingsley one Sunday if you want to shoot amoungst those mentioned above and other great people, if you win great, if you don't keep trying until you do, I just hope I can do that before popping off.
Old 2nd April 2016, 08:17 AM

For Cockers ... and anyone else ... just work hard in your class to try and push your scores up into the elite shooters averages. Then you will get to be put in the same sessions as them. Then you can compete against them peg by peg. Most of those elite guys will have had to do that themselves in the early days of their HFT shooting.

Last edited by skires; 2nd April 2016 at 09:29 AM.