View Single Post
Old 8th August 2012, 11:32 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by maestro View Post
A few years ago in some Polish Cup competitions they had the same problem i.e. too many shooters and long waiting times. Let me tell you their answer to the problem. They didn't want to start two sessions so their solution was 1 target on each lane (they were 40 shot competitions). It was a serious gymnastics training to sit down and stand up with the rifle 40 times but there were always 40 people shooting at a time.

If we had 60 targets on 60 lanes with two-men squads on the GP then 120 people could shoot one session in less time than the 75 does it now! And it would spread the top scores better, worth to think about it...
Possibly. The problem is the amount of lanes, the space getting them in and room for guns on the line etc.

Another solution, drop the time to 1:30. We suggested this to the WFTF but were overruled (dropping it by 30 secs_. I'm keen not to spend 6 hours on a worlds course again, following a group of shooters who spent 12 minutes from start to finish to shoot 2 targets each. The problem wasn't so much on the clock, almost that one of them liked a full debrief in the lane when they had finished...
On one day I finished a full hour before Helen did, and they were being held up. I'd hate to think what would have happened if Conor and Simon were an hour apart and that deluge on Day 3 hit only one of them.

There isn't a perfect solution to timing. If you do it like the worlds, in my opinion it's too long (certainly not workable for GP's...), and if you make courses harder, then all you have to do is wait for the wind before putting eye to scope. The worlds timing stops me doing that but i never went over 2 mins even like that in italy even using a springer. So for me, drop the time in the lane as a start.

With 40 shot courses, you can only get 60 on a session, and we'd need 3 sessions to keep up with GP numbers. The NEFTA only manages 3 sessions with 2 shooters per lane, so that's 120... which kind of proves to me that it's not possible to get 3 per lane on a 40 shot with 3 sessions.

Perhaps there's merit in what Andras says... if the space issue isn't an issue...
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep