View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 01:25 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by DaveRobinson View Post
There seems to be a lot of talk of individual circumstance...i can see the view points to allow inclusion ive put a lot of thought into what im about to say
The Rules cannot be flexible enough to allow inclusion of every individuals circumstances in our sport it is just common sense fact.
An Example
The rules of the road if a Frenchman came over here and drove on the wrong side of the road to then turn around and say well you should allow me to do it i have a bad right arm and its easier for me to drive on this side. Sadly Its not gonna work in practice
Agreed Dave. There was a document I presented at the BFTA meeting I last which showed that whatever way you jump, there will always be a problem.

What is needed is to look at the fundamental issues and the pros and cons, and the make the decision on that rather than emotion.

The are only 4 fundamental routes. (try and find another route). They are all opposed, and all have problems. However the threats to the sport may be deemed strong enough to overide them. (which I think it what is happening now)

The options are:

1) stay as it is

Obvious what the problems are

2) sitting class, or start a new class leaving the existing class as a side class and a new class where alternative positions are not allowed.
Not inclusive. Causes problems for regional and national teams, plus showdowns and may require mirror competitions for champs etc. Doesn't allow competitor to compete on an equal level across all levels of the sport.

3) get rid of alternative positions altogether
Advised to be open to legal challenge. May be a route around that, but could take considerable work. Can of worms. Some will not be able to shoot as they do.

4) change the field of play so it doesn't matter
Not what many want. It isn't deemed to be the sport

As you see, rights and wrongs on all routes.

My personal take is to go for number 3. I'd be open to allowing disabled shooters if there could be a way found for them to demonstrate that their ability was restricted, that there was a way to seperate injury be it short term or long term, and that their proposed position offered themself no advantage. I think that's what a lot of people are asking, but I don't think it's possible, which is why I haven't put it in as an option.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep