View Single Post
Old 19th April 2012, 06:19 AM
Member of: JGARC

I think these rifles are incredible value for money.

A lot of people will tell you that they are built to a price point, which is of course true. You'll get a real shock if you open one up and see how rudimentary they are inside.

Compare a Hämmerli's internals to a Steyr's and they are like chalk & cheese.

But that's only half the story, because I believe the Hämmerli product designers have asked themselves how they can attain the highest performance with the lowest B.O.M. It's a bit like comparing a 99p quartz watch to a Swiss watch. Yes the Swiss watch is beautifully made, and basically a work of art. But the 99p quartz is actually more accurate.

Downrange, the results speak for themselves. I've had nine different Steyrs, including rifles with Leupy barrels, Anschutz barrels, Steyr Barley Twist barrels and Lothar Walther barrels, and the Hämmerli wipes the floor with all of them in terms of shot-to-shot consistency and sheer, repeatable accuracy.

I can get really tight groups with most rifles (of the bench), but there's always the odd flyer which I've put down to pilot error. Strangely, this doesn't happen with the Hämmerli (or my Walther) – they all go through the same hole. It gets boring after a while, like flicking a light switch. The expression on my club mates faces after they've shot it, speaks volumes.

Is it a perfect rifle? No, far from it. But it's got the basics right. No matter how much you spend on some of the other so called Super Guns, they'll never produce the same level of accuracy as the AR20 out the box.

It doesn't have the wow factor of the quartz watch, though. And that's what a lot of people are looking for.