View Single Post
Old 18th April 2012, 05:41 PM
Mr. Kipling has nothing on me
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, South Dorset, Parkstone
Default Miss England Operation News......

Hello All,

Just thought I would update everyone about the ongoing saga that is my back!!!

Most who know me know that I have had some major issues over the last couple of years with ambulance trips to the hospital, copious amounts of drugs for pain relief and continuing trouble walking around - not a good mix when I have a never ending determination to shoot!!

Well it is finally come to a head after multiple scans and medication and physio trials that I am now heading for an operation on the 14th May. I had a pre-op assessment today which involved more tests to make sure I am ok for surgery along with some home truths about my recovery time......

I am having spinal decompression surgery which basically means a one inch inscision into my lower back to remove part of a disc which has prolapsed and is pressing on my nerves so causing all my pain along with loss of sensation in my foot and calf. Apparently discs often prolapse and usually heal but being me and not doing anything by halves means that my prolapse is very large and will not heal without help.

Today I was told that as it is invasive surgery and not only a small bit of bone along with the disc is to be removed but my nerves are pushed aside to allow entry so causeing more irritation I will be in even more pain when it is done than I am now!!! Brilliant!!

I will have a 1-3 day stint in the hospital to make sure that everything is working ok and no damage or side effects are present, followed by 7-10 days at home with limited mobility and yet more pain killers. Then its back to have wounds checked and begin physio to get strength and mobility back. I didnt realise how much mobility I was going to loose by having this op but by all counts it will be alot!!!

All in all minimum of 6 weeks off work, potentially 12 weeks. Im aiming for 6 and if not full time then at least part time at work after that.

Apparently the first 6 weeks is the crucial time for my disc to heal correctly so I have to be really careful so no lifting or bending for at least 4 weeks then only minimal after. On the upside this means no housework!!! On the down side I have become used to my cycling every other day so will be climbing the walls (back allowing!!!) not being able to do anything.

Upside - long term I will be much much better so will be able to live my life un restricted as it is at the moment with walking being such a problem and I will be able to (in theory) improve my FT - watch out Rob!!!

Downside - Nefta Classic and GP2 will be my last shoots for some time I wont be able to cycle for nearly 2 months I will most likely have to miss Norway which only last week booked up and started to get excited about

Trying to remember the long term upsides but currently can only think about what I will have to miss this year No fear though as soon as I am strong enough I will be picking the gun back up and even if I cant complete a GP will endeavour to manage the travel so I can come and say hello. Maybe I will have to only shoot the camera for a while once back on my feet....

Great to see everyone at GP1, sorry I missed some of you hope to catch up again at NEFTA and GP2 (my last day of freedom is GP2 as its the day before my op!!!)

See you all soon

Helen xx
Miss Helen England
Southampton Buccaneers FTC Treasurer, CSFTA Treasurer, Lucky Shot and Cake Maker!!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread