View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:15 PM
55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I received an idea in private: if we used a photo detector which breaks the line from the microphone, we could measure the time directly between the first sound of trigger release to the moment when the pellet leaves the muzzle and the sound signal stops. The question is whether anybody can help me to build this kind of instrument...

Then I thought it further that we've already got a tool with built-in photo detectors, which fits to any barrel and also has a serial port output, this is the Combro chrony! If we could connect this with the microphone somehow, I could measure a more accurate lock-time with one single shot, ditching the pellet flight and sound reflecting times which are sensitive to the environmental conditions. And we could easily measure 150 different rifles say on a GP, building a huge general database...

If somebody can help me on the above, please get in touch via PM.
All good stuff,but unless every single gun that is tested is producing the same muzzle velocity,how can an accurate figure be obtain?surely this has got to affect lock time results.