View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:21 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
Also I pack my rear mount to try and follow the trajectory, along the greatest length of its flight.(it works in my head anyway)
Erm... ok

But seriously, all packing the rear mount does is allow you do keep a scope at optical centre and use the pack to put it on zero rather than the turrets.

The reticule is a single point in space, so tilting the scope up or down makes no difference (as long as you can still see the target ...) if you assume that the reticule is roughly inline with the rotation point made my the shim then the reticule won't move, or if it does it will move by barely nothing...

But what does make a difference is the height of that reticule off the barrel... the higher it is, the flatter your ranges further out will be, but your ranges close in will have more clicks/drop between them... and the reverse is true, the closer to the barrel, the flatter your close ranges are, the more drop you have further out.

Now, ask yourself the question... is it more difficult to get it in a 10-15mm at close range, or a 40-45? And it's probably something personal to you.

But do bear in mind that even on my FT rig, a difference of about 1/2" of scope height between two guns running the same power at 50-55 yds is about 1/4 MOA... however at close ranges (8yds) it's about 10x1/4 MOA... so it would suggest that scope hieght is more a consideration for the closer targets... which might be an inkling as to why some are using 32mm scopes with low mounts in HFT and why some are using really high mounts in FT
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep