View Single Post
Old 10th January 2012, 09:26 PM
Member of: Rivi

Originally Posted by Willbe View Post
But if it is handed over to a customer, and if at a later date the cylinder failed due to bad engineering injuring that customer or a 3rd party, then this could be used legally against who carried out the modification. Just the same principle as when I calibrate say a pressure transmitter that protects a vessel from overpressurisation i will issue a calibration cert on that instrument outlining its performance during that test. Yes it is a test only on that day of testing but if something was to happen and it is found that a/ I issued the cert without performing the test or b/ carried out that test incorrectly or somewhere my method was flawed then that cert would be used as evidence against me legally, I could be in very hot water! This was my thinking about certificates being issued.
The problem with rogue/dodgy workmen is they aren't too bothered by what is law and will lie and cheat if it keeps them out of hot water. lets say you buy a cylinder off said rogue, he sells a few more makes a few quid then dissapears, yours then fails and injures someone? do you think the certificate he gave you will be any use?

This is all because the cylinder was a modified/custom job, would people now be calling for pcp's to be banned had it been a standard cylinder? the POTENTIAL is there in EVERY cylinder, how many people who think they should be banned have bought a secondhand pcp? have they all checked inside and out of the cylinder and end caps incase previous owner has been inside and damaged cylinder walls or threads?

I know every cylinder over 5 years old should be banned incase of fatigue, any cylinder thats been painted/dipped banned because we can't see the condition underneath the coating, any cylinder with sctratches banned because if outside is marked maybe inside is worse? Where does it stop?