View Single Post
Old 10th January 2012, 12:22 PM
Member of: Kibworth

Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
There are quite a few people out there who produce cylinders or quickfills that have had their work pressure tested & whose work is at least as good if not better than the original manufacturers.

It should also be noted that not every Manufacturer pressure tests every cylinder, its often just a small sample or even just one of them.

Admittedly it may pay for the aftermarket quickfill & cylinder manufacturers to get a sample independantly tested for everyones piece of mind.
When someone's barrel points at my eye, as occasionally happens, I feel uneasy, don't you? Is it loaded?
If I notice a non-standard cylinder, how do I know it's design has been properly tested to whatever is the relevant British Standard?

I understand manufacturers test a quantity of their cylinders, as car makers crash test a few 'sample' cars.
I'd be happy if at least an aftermarket cylinder manufacturer tested a batch of each of their cylinder designs, but I'm not sure that happens. Certainly not with home made ones.

I agree with you and Ryan on the filling connector issue. I've had first hand expeience of a custom brass fill probe giving way whe first I used it. Fill hose went whipping away from me, fortunately.

Perhaps those owning 240 cylinders will understandably be answering "no ban" here, but isn't an eye or a hand worth more than that?