View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:52 PM
Member of: JGARC

Good stuff.

For rifles with a black transfer port:

The set screw within the Stabilizer spring determines the force that the Stabilizer exerts upon its release. Remember to replace the split O-ring on the set screw shaft before you reinsert it into the Stabilizer body, otherwise the two will separate and you'll need to strip the rifle again.

I've done that before.

The ideal, is that the Stabilizer exerts the same pressure as the recoiling chassis, and therefore they cancel each other out. If you cock an empty rifle, and then press down on the Stabilizer release catch (the thin black metal component on the top of the bolt, above where the transfer port would be) you'll feel the chassis moving slightly forward. This is the nature of the isolated force that the Stabilizer exerts - without the force that the propelling air exerts during a normal firing cycle.

If the set screw is positioned too far in, the gun will recoil like a regular air rifle. If it is set too far out it can actually recoil forward very slightly.

Steyr themselves told me that the Stabilizer works best when completely dry – i.e. no lubricant. I'm unsure if the travel position shown on the videos is just for the 6ftlb versions, as all of my rifles seemed to work better if the Stabilizer continued its travel slightly further. Certainly the rifles in the videos appear to have diopter sights installed, which would suggest that they are 6ftlb 10m rifles.

It's also important to actually fire pellets when you're attempting to set the Stabilizer, as the rifle recoils differently when there isn't a pellet in the barrel. After a while you'll become attuned to how the Stabilizer is working and you'll be able to feel the difference between different weights of pellets and even their head sizes. Likewise, if you haven't cleaned the barrel in a while you'll also feel the rifle kicking slightly more.

For rifles with a silver transfer port:

These are trickier to set up, and I've never quite managed to get them to be just as recoilless as rifles with black transfer ports. Basically the reduced aperture within the silver transfer port (3mm as opposed to 4.5mm) isn't as efficient at letting the air flow through it as the black transfer port, and you actually have to put roughly about 18ftlbs of air through it in order to achieve 12ftlbs worth of thrust behind the pellet. The additional 6ftlbs of air jets from the end of the barrel after the pellet has exited. This additional 6ftlbs worth of surplus air, has absolutely no effect on the pellet itself (still sub-12ftlbs at the chrono), but continues to act on the chassis after the Stabilizer has finished doing its thing. As a result, the position of the Stabilizer set screw can have very little effect on rifles which have a silver transfer port installed.

It's this surplus 6ftlbs of air, which accounts for the significant drop in shot count in rifles with silver transfer ports. They're also quite a bit louder.

The regulator pressure also has a significant effect on how the gun behaves during the firing cycle. It'll take quite a bit of experimentation to get the various different settings spot on (but it's worth it). For me, my LG100 with Barley Twist barrel likes a 100bar reg (the original higher reg. pressure that the High Power takes its name from), a black transfer port and 11ftlbs on the chrono with JSB Exact Express.

And one final thing, if you use the dry firing facility on the LG100/110 to practise your trigger technique, remember to manually release the Stabilizer catch before you put it back into storage. It's actually the air travelling through the transfer port and bolt which releases the Stabilizer during the firing cycle - but if you're dry firing the Stabilizer never actually releases. I'm convinced that if you put the rifle away with the Stabilizer spring compressed, the spring loses strength (in a similar fashion to the main spring in a cocked springer).

Last edited by CameronWilson; 3rd January 2012 at 07:05 PM.