View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:57 PM
Member of: JGARC

One of the things I love most about owning a Steyr is the constant tweaking and tuning. When they are on-song they really are a beautiful rifle to shoot. I also love how modular they are. A lot of the guys who really know their Steyrs, will strip them down and clean the exhaust valve stem every 200 shots or so, just to ensure that everything is perfect. You could argue that it's totally unnecessary, but I guess it's the same as constantly striving to get an even sharper edge on your knife, or polishing the chrome work on your Harley Davidson!

I find that shot to shot consistency in relation to the 'baseline' is very good. I generally achieve +/-10fps spread with unweighed pellets, but I've heard some others claiming that they've got it down to +/- 3fps spread. Where the problem occurs, is when that 'baseline' shifts and this is caused by variations in temperature. In Edinburgh, a rifle which produces sub 12ftlb in summer can drop to below 10ftlb in the winter.

What you will experience is a shift in the output power, together with a respective shift in the pellet impact and the aim points throughout the trajectory. If you're lucky enough to have access to a decent chrono the output power is easy enough to bring back to where you want it, and you can then re-zero the rifle. An external power adjuster is the obvious solution, but there again current thinking discourages that. The HP and Hunter stocks are easy enough to work with, but the FT stock is an absolute nightmare.

But regardless, if you are attending an 'away' FT or HFT shoot, chances are you won't have the luxury of honing the rifle, and you'll have to make the best of the situation. This is where the really good shots shine - they can take a rifle which isn't pellet on pellet, and still lift the silverware. I was lucky enough to shoot a couple of courses with Chris Cundey last summer, and he was kind enough to try shooting my Steyr Hunter that I wasn't completely confident in - he diplomatically demonstrated that it wasn't the arrows, but the Indian that was at fault!