View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:26 PM
Member of: JGARC

The black transfer ports fitted to the early LG100s were fractionally thinner than the subsequent revisions, and required a number of the clear washers in order to create a friction fit with the underside of the bolt. As has been correctly pointed out above, the number of spacers required will vary from rifle to rifle, and was fettled at the factory. Most first revision LG100s (Steyr barley twist barrel & a single retaining grub screw) will have these clear spacers installed. Both of my LG100s had two, each. As a rule of thumb, generally the second revision LG100s (Anschutz barrel & two retaining grub screws) are spacer-less.

The problem with this design (I'd say it's the second biggest problem with the LG100/110) is that you need to unscrew the transfer port in order to adjust it to the correct (friction fit) height - but unfortunately unscrewing it also loosens it, and it's not uncommon for the transfer port to creep up further during repeated firing cycles. The first symptom of this is that the bolt requires more and more pressure to close properly. Eventually it won't close at all. A quick inspection will reveal that the transfer port has unscrewed too high, and simply screwing it back in will solve the problem. I mark the green O-ring with a permanent marker, to ensure its correct orientation.

There is also a method of rebuilding the rifle, whereby the transfer port is installed loose, to the correct height, and the bolt is closed BEFORE the final two bolts are nipped-up. Closing the bolt in this fashion causes the whole of the trigger block to move back fractionally before it is nipped-up, and as a result the transfer port is scissored insitu between the trigger block and the chassis. This method certainly stops the transfer port from unscrewing further during the firing cycle, and because it results in a 'squarer' build it can often yield a smoother cocking stroke, but it relies on putting pressure on both the thread inside the trigger block and the chassis - probably the two most expensive components within the rifle!

I've approached Steyr concerning several LG110 product design enhancements that I have conceptualised (including a design that would add very little to the total BOM, and which would completely remove this very problem), but I'm still waiting on them getting back to me.

At the very least I'd like an all-expenses-paid tour of the assembly plant!

Last edited by CameronWilson; 2nd January 2012 at 10:31 PM.