View Single Post
Old 18th November 2011, 08:06 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Surely a dedicated sitting class it the best option as everyone is included & it's as fair as possible
How would that be mirrored across the structure of FT Pete? Would there be a sitting only Nefta team, an EFTA team, would you compete at the worlds... what about showdowns, british and euros? Would you think it fair that you compete in the class against someone who was in C grade and there is only a class trophy?

I know that's a barrage of questions, but to date, no-one has answered how it is fair that you can compete in "x" comp, but beyond that, you're at a disadvantage. That for me is stumbling block. It says to me it's ok to play in the sitting class, but for anything major you are at the mercy of your disability. Except the worlds of course, which allows the positions.

The positions are meant to ape as much as possible the original position, taking into account the disability. The support methods are the same for both. What is not the same is the use of the legs. For kneeling, the position enables less strain on lower joints as the original position puts additional stress on those beyond what is found in normal life. People who have issues kneeling don't tend to kneel. (There is the possiblity that you can kneel two knees on the ground, as it can be the more raised leg that causes issues, but this is not a legal position) So the alternative helps with this, or enables someone to do a kneeling position.

For standing, this means that the upper body is still in the same position as if it was in the alternative, otherwise it is not being done correctly. This means the only issue that can justify that is one that affects the legs, and I would think that would become apparent when trying to walk with a rifle over rough ground. The human body takes 3x it's body weight through the legs with each step, so the additonal mass of a rifle will not make much difference (moot if the person can carry it anyway).

I am not a doc, but I would expect anyone having trouble with the standing position to display problems with normal standing and walking, and a problem being able to support the rifle in the alternative position.

If the upper body is not in the same position as the normal standing position, or kneeling position, it's not being done correctly. I can see there's a possibility for that, but that's another subject
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep