View Single Post
Old 16th November 2011, 08:46 PM
Member of: Springfield SEFTA

Originally Posted by paul4be View Post
Been an interesting read. Just how wide-spread are the perceived problems in reality???

Is it thought that there are dozens of people trying to bluff a different position? Is it really a widespread problem, or seen as such by plenty of people who "Know somebody who saw somebody who..." ?

Anything like this works on an element of trust involving those with a problem. There seem to be a lot of suggestions that would lead to some very complicated rules being introduced, or a lot more targets out on a course which may not be a good thing.

Not trying to be funny, just trying to understand how big the "problem" really is.
I don't know that it's a big problem, I've already asked this question with no reply. However I suspect that if people get upset by just one shooter in AA grade, it's enough.
It's being suggested that the views of these disabled shooters are sought, I've already made several comments on this thread. I admire any person who overcomes their personal issues to compete as close to standard as posssible, but at what price? Is it the case that some shooters are effectively losing those standing targets in order not to be perceived to gain an advantage, in effect taking themselves out of competitive contention?

I make no apology for being fiercely competitive, every time I visit a FT course I'm seeking to produce my best possible score, I have plenty of other guns in the cupboard for plinking and tin cans.
Its my intention to shoot to my maximum ability within the rules like many others. To this end I consider carefully the use of appropriate clothing, gloves, rifle, scope, hooks,straps, boots. hats, bags etc. We all do, I then consider, adopt and practice the best possible shooting positions to gain maximum accuracy. Again we all do this, that's why there are so many variations on the sitting postition.

Because of the trauma in my neck,spine and shoulders I then find that trying to hold a fully kitted FT rifle standing is well nigh impossible; it's a similar issue on kneelers. Yes I can carry the kit round the course, but that's a matter of practicality it drags my shoulders and adds to the discomfort of a 50 target course.
I could lift it up to my shoulder but any attempt to maintain that hold, i.e. on aim results in extreme pain, the problem then is not just for the discipline shots but, unless they're my last shots on a course the consequential injury I have to carry round the course.

The current rules offer a legitimate alternative to this predicament for me. I didn't just arrive one day and start shooting them. I raised the matter in 2008 with the then BFTA chair and comp. secretary ; produced medical records for my regional secretary and then shot alongside the chairman at a comp. so he could evaluate the as then newly devised postitions. I now shoot in strict accordance with those BFTA disabled rules. From my side of the fence I genuinely don't see that I gain an advantage.

Some people, I believe, call this cheating.

I'm more than happy to enter a more effective registration system, I'm also more than happy to sit down with other shooters and look at the whole question of this perceived advantage. The problem is I can't demonstrate before and after shooting postions, and able bodied shooters will clearly find sitting advantageous. Speaking purely for myself I don't wish to lose my AA status for any reason other than poor shooting!