View Single Post
Old 12th November 2011, 04:14 PM
Member of: JGARC

Well I made it down to the range today, and managed to take some quick snaps.

The arrangement
(1&2) show how the barrel protrudes past the end of the shroud and into the silencer cavity itself (3). There appears to be an O-ring (1), much like the arrangement found inside the AR20FT shroud.

I'd describe this as a shroud fitted to a fully floating barrel, rather than the original arrangement which is a fully floating barrel within a shroud. The important difference here is that with the Huggett, if the shroud gets a knock, so does the barrel. With Daystate's original arrangement, the barrel would remain 'unknocked' as it isn't actually attached to anything at the muzzle end. With the original arrangement you can hold the rifle in your left hand, and smack the butt of the stock with your right, and feel the harmonics of the barrel vibrating freely within the shroud. Not so with the Huggett.

I can't quite tell if the three apertures (1) allow a back pressure to travel down the body of the shroud and out of the shroud vents (4&5). If not, the volume inside the shroud will remain untapped, rendering the shroud and its vents nothing more than rather expensive eye-candy. Either way, there is no detectable pressure generated by the shroud vents during the firing cycle.

Likewise the silencer body vents (6) don't appear to produce a blast of air either.

There are three flutes machined into the top of the shroud (7) in a similar style to the flute machined into the underside of a MK4s barrel shroud, and these appear to be purely decorative. They aren't like the flutes found on a high-end full-bore barrel where the increased surface area helps to cool the barrel quicker.

The Huggett Shroud significantly reduces the overall length of the Airwolf (8&9). My full-length Airwolf is now a couple of inches shorter, and now resembles the length of the Tactical model.

But how does it perform?
Well, actually, that's quite hard to tell. Screwing Daystate's carbon fibre Airstream reflex silencer to original shroud, or Weihrauch's 'benchmark' High Efficiency for that matter, results in a system where the majority of the noise that you hear is actually the 'pung' of the solenoid opening the Harper Valve. There's no doubt that the Weihrauch is noticeably quieter than the Daystate, but the downside is that the Weihrauch turns the rifle into a musket. I personally found it difficult ascertain if the Huggett was quieter than the Weihrauch, but even matching the Weihrauch's legendary performance in such a compact form-factor is a major achievement.

I then switched to shooting the 100yd targets, and after a few shots my ears started to tune-out the 'pung' of the solenoid, and I was able to hear the 'fizz' of the pellet making its way down range. I haven't heard this with any other silencer arrangement before, including the Weihrauch, so I would say that yes, on account of the Huggett revealing the 'fizz' of the pellet in flight at 50-100yds, it must be quieter than the Weihrauch. Obviously the arrangement of vents etc. (4,5&6) is actually working even although there is no apparent blast of air they're not just there to look good!

The jury's still out with regards to accuracy. I was unable to match the group sizes that I've achieved in the past, but I strongly suspect that this has more to do with parallax error caused by the stocks low cheekpiece rather than anything else. I was able to put pellets through the same hole at 35yds, and into an ever growing single hole at 45yds. There were fliers, but again, that was most likely down to me having my jaw on the cheekpiece of the stock rather than my cheek.

Initial summary
The Huggett silencer is an impressive piece of kit. It's beautifully made, and it results in a truly stunning rifle. Its ability to better the Weihrauch's performance in such a compact form-factor is a major achievement, and well worth the asking price.