View Single Post
Old 28th October 2011, 06:41 PM

Hi Rob,

These are the views of members of Dartmoor Marksmen, which overlap some points already made by Rich Clark, who organised the Club Instructor course which you led, at Shebbear this year. Four of our members took part, three of which wanted the qualification to help members of our club, and one who wanted to add to his knowledge and experience, for his own benefit.

At no time were they informed that NSRA membership was required for this qualification.
When asked if they would have been prepared to put up the cost of NSRA membership for five years to qualify, they all said, "No way!"

Three of the four had to take time off work, which meant inconvenience, or financial penalty.

Our Club subsidised the cost of the course for three members, ie 195. If we recover 25 costs each for CRB checks that now do not take place, the club is still 120 down.

I have just realised that my own ticket needs renewing, but as I am not an NSRA member, and my CRB check is not approved by the NSRA, I can't at present do so. The other DM instructor is in a similar position, so all coaching activities at DM must cease, this comprises the following.

At present, I help Rich Clark at Shebbear every Wednesday, coaching twelve youngsters as an after school activity.
On Sundays, DM instructors are involved with coaching four youngsters for their Duke of Edinburgh Awards, as well as helping members improve their shooting.
I have recently been approached by the Royal Marines to help coach a team of disabled ex-servicemen in preparation for a "Wounded Warriors" competition in the US in the spring.
Clearly, none of the above activities can now take place.
Is this the light in which the NSRA wish to be seen?

It seems to me that, in the past, coaching activities were covered by BFTA club insurance.
Surely, NSRA club insurance could include coaches, even a limited number. After all, at present, a new member can visit a club, injure someone, and still be covered. Coaches, whose first priority is to drum safety rules into their charges, and reinforce them at every chance, are not covered. It's a crazy world..!

Richard "Gus" Guscott Sec. DMFTC.