View Single Post
Old 25th October 2011, 07:06 AM
Pete Dutton

Originally Posted by raygun View Post
This thread I find interesting.

Looking at the Quarry pics I commented that there were some interesting kneeling positions. I commented thus because I was jealous of the flexibility demonstrated

I feel there are a couple of points worthy of consideration.

1. If the kneeler/stander is unsupported then nothing adjacent should be used. The intention has to be that the shot is unsupported. As is stated on the position. The course set up also states "Unsupported".

2. The rules state that there should be no support forward of the wrist.

This surely means that there should be no support used, regardless of whether the peg is high or there is support available nearby.

Hi Ray,

Your points have already been covered earlier but here goes again

The UKAHFT rule about no support forward of the wrist is a description of the standard kneeling position & deals with the position of the hand in relation to the knee a shot with no support available, it is purely talking about what parts of the body may be used to support the rifle, in other words it stops the shooter resting the back of the hand on the kneecap.

For a supported kneeler this position must be adhered to, so you cant rest the back of your hand on the knee, you may however utilise any support that is within reach of the peg & that includes the peg itself.

We could quite easily re-write the rules to cover every little aspect of the event but we'd soon have a rule book about an inch thick, the easiest way if it really upsets anyone is not to set courses out with pegs tall enough to lean on for supported shots

It should also be pointed out that the signage should say "kneeling or standing", there is no requirement to specify "unsupported" or "supported"

However...having said all that, I would agree with you that their are some questionable kneeling positions in the photographs from Quarry.......the overriding factor in using a support on a kneeling shot is that the standard kneeling position should be used & there are a few shooters who seem to be sitting on both heels, therefore it means we will have to re-write the rules to specify exactly what & what isn't allowed.