View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:42 AM
Member of: Bisley

Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I'd hate to disagree with Alan, but I don't believe it does. The only thing I believe has an advantage in being able to see further down the fall line of the pellet is the scope height. Ok, so you get a smidge perhaps by shimming or tipping the scope up at the back end, but it will barely make a difference in that respect, not in terms of lifting the scope up by an inch... shimming or using adjustable mounts only lifts the scope by the order of mm's.

Be careful though, by lifting a scope height, you need to be more observant of cant and your close ranges will have more clicks between them.

Personally I believe a better long end trajectory is just a helpful by-product of lifting a scope... I have 9 x 1/8th MOA clicks, which means i can just count two per yd really between 50-55. Helen's rig is higher than mine and I think she has 4-5 x 1/4 MOA clicks which is about the same. So I wouldn't chase it beyond just making a rig comfortable to shoot for the neck/back.

I've got about 45 MOA from 25 yds back to 8 yds... Helen has more. Before I used a rail I had about 20 MOA....

My 25-30 flat spot has moved out to 30-35, Helen's is more like 32.5-37.5, she has only 2 x 1/4 clicks between 35 and 40.

I use H's rig as a comparison because it's the same rig, running the same ammo, within 8fps of muzzle velocity, both with the same rails and adjustable mounts on top.

Not what I meant, Rob.

I said the rail (scope height) would give the effect of seeing further down the line, using the rail would make it more likely that you would need to shim the back mount to get your zero before running out of clicks.