View Single Post
Old 15th August 2011, 09:26 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Like Dave, I learnt from the best, and if i didn't have the gumption to ask for advice then I just sat back and watched.

I remember my first national showdown, 1st round, paired with Ian Taylor. I just flicked my mind off from a possible win and thought "excellent, a 20 target lesson from no.1"...

i'll happily offer advice after i see a problem and it's effect, but i tend to steer away from offering major positional stuff on the course because there's not often enough time to adapt.

i would prefer my partners enjoy their day, and it's normally the people that are least likely to make an impact that need a little help. The nice thing about it is that it doesnt stop as you get better... the biggest problem is finding the deep detailed problems a top shot may actually have.

I might add, 5 years later I came up against Ian in the final. The humbling thing afterwards was that Ian remembered my score from 5 years ago.

I might also add that the list is long and varied as to all those people who have helped me along to a win.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep