View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 08:35 PM

Rob, the format is very flexible, so in answer to the question would we change anything, maybe. Nothing important stood out as needing change, but I'd like to see a variation in 2012 from this year's events, possibly. The whole idea is that it's a break from conventional league shoots, it's just a fun day with no legacies of lost league positions or failed showdown chances.

The turnout was lower than we had hoped for, 23 shooting. We had capacity for up to 40. The bottleneck will be any event that only one person at a time can shoot. For example, the speed shoot. We allowed 3 minutes from scope to eye to knock down 20 sils, seated, 20 yards or so, and four people beat the three minute barrier and were placed according to their times taken. By the time the person has made themselves comfortable, laid out a line of pellets, shot for 3 minutes and then got up to make way for the next person, you have to say 5 minutes minimum. 40 people at 5 minutes is getting on for four hours, so the kit is on full utilisation all day. One change we might make would be to trim that to two minutes, then I defy anyone to clear 20 shots and get 20 hits.

Our scores lady preferred to use pencil and paper to a spreadsheet, and for 23 entries that was feasible but with 40 entries, the adding up at the end would take too long if it was done manually.

We put up a mesh barrier to enclose the LSR area with a dual purpose, to quell the wind and hopefully to allow a marshal to go and change target cards without having to blow a whistle. The mesh barrier was not pellet-proof so maybe next time we would try a different layout to obviate too many whistles.

In terms of value for money, a day's shooting involving five events plus breakfast and a hot lunch and all the tea and coffee you can drink, for a tenner, even if you don't win a cash prize, I don't think it was expensive...... We could have upped the gate money and put more into the cash prizes but asking much more than a tenner at the door might turn some folk away.