Thread: Worlds
View Single Post
Old 19th April 2011, 12:03 PM
Pete Dutton

Originally Posted by NarkyMark View Post
I can see what you are saying Pete, but what if you were to have a set checking rifle (this will be the said standard to be used - the calibration device if you like Mounted in a stock somewhere in between the sporter & target style) and say that on this said rifle the centre barrel to floor/support height (at the firing line or centre of peg/support) for any particular target will be no more than (for arguments sake) 200mm! Then at least you would have a standard that no one can question, the same as the standard distance between the lines on the triple jump, or the length of a footy pitch or the strength of the spring in the target checker etc. Even if this standard means that some juniors can or can't see the target, at least there would be an unquestionable standard.

I realise that any rule can be seen as bias one way or another and I do not envy those who have to make them one bit, but if there was a set rule or standard at least we would all be singing from the same sheet, whether we all sing in key or hit the high notes would be irrelevant.

Just my tuppence mate, and either way Ill continue to love the sport
I know what you are saying Mark but what happens for elevated targets then ? sometimes your buttpad will be on the floor but the post is gripped 6"-9" up the peg shooting at a target up a tree or cliff. I think a simple rule such a you are suggesting could rule out some quite interesting shots.

We could however consider a height of obstruction if & only if the butt needs to be raised off the ground, that way high shots could still be included as the buttpad is generally on the ground for those

Further Edit:
For this type of shot we could try a block of a set height under the butt of the vetting gun, then when rested on the obstructing object or block if the gun isn't pointing at the kill or lower it would be deemed too high

Last edited by Scooby; 19th April 2011 at 12:43 PM.