Thread: Worlds
View Single Post
Old 19th April 2011, 11:41 AM
Member of: TAWD VALE

Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Good post Mark,

The problem with trying to create a specific limit on how high you come up a peg is its also dependant on many other factors sugh as target height & terrain contours, stock design also comes into it with sporter styles fairing better than Target based stocks with deeper forends that lift the muzzle higher & require the butt to be elevated even more.

I think realisically it's something we have to pick up during vetting & on this occasion it was probably a bit too high for our younger shooters, I really struggled on it myself & as you son says I'm a big guy
I can see what you are saying Pete, but what if you were to have a set checking rifle (this will be the said standard to be used - the calibration device if you like – Mounted in a stock somewhere in between the sporter & target style) and say that on this said rifle the centre barrel to floor/support height (at the firing line or centre of peg/support) for any particular target will be no more than (for arguments sake) 200mm! Then at least you would have a standard that no one can question, the same as the standard distance between the lines on the triple jump, or the length of a footy pitch or the strength of the spring in the target checker etc. Even if this standard means that some juniors can or can't see the target, at least there would be an unquestionable standard.

I realise that any rule can be seen as bias one way or another and I do not envy those who have to make them one bit, but if there was a set rule or standard at least we would all be singing from the same sheet, whether we all sing in key or hit the high notes would be irrelevant.

Just my tuppence mate, and either way I’ll continue to love the sport

Last edited by NarkyMark; 19th April 2011 at 11:43 AM.