View Single Post
Old 13th March 2011, 07:37 PM
Mr. Kipling has nothing on me
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, South Dorset, Parkstone

It is good to see the tone of this thread has calmed down.... I have had an idea and would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts.........

I liked the idea of disabled cards.... so how would you attain one.....

As we are all aware most people could go to a doctor and obtain a note stating they need to refrain from something, but as none of us are qualified to diagnose other shooters medical condtions, a valid doctors note should be the starting point.....

For a sum of 30 a specific doctors letter can be obtained (prices may differ but having had one from my doc previously that is what I paid) this specific letter would detail the reasons why the shooter could not attain the mainstream position be it because it is physically impossible or would cause actual damage to the person. Also I believe that if a shooter is going to shoot for and represent their club in competitions that this cost could be split 50/50 between shooter and club as the doctors letter would enable that shooter to represent the club.... Just an idea....

After attaining this the shooter could then have to get a personal reference from shooters on their circuit (these references would be better valid if it was from outside the shooters own club, so trying to eliminate unfair bias...)The object of this reference is to help verify the need for the disabled position, and act as a character reference. For example shooters in my region CSFTA have seen me on many occassion in doubled over pain and struggling and are aware of all various treatments I have been undergoing, therefore I could find numerous people who could verify my position.

The doctors letter along with a character reference could then be taken to the Chairman of your club who would "sign off" the application giving the clubs backing and their personal backing that the application is genuine. Obviously if the chairman does not believe it to be genuine (and most chairmen should know their members abliities and character) then they would not back the application. Also I believe that should a chairman authorise a "false" or "non-genuine" application that the club would recieve a penalty - disqualification from that year winter league for example - a harsh penalty would discourage any falsifying of disability applications. It is a serious issue - ensuring people do not take advantage of a disabled positon when it is not genuinly needed.

As a further step this could then be submitted for final approval to the regional chariman. Again this would add further validity to the claim.

Once all is validated - and although it sounds like we would have to jump throught hoops so to speak, it would then mean a fully approved "disabled card" could be issued with that shooters name, number, club and approved disabled position which would need to be presented at the beginning of every shoot.

That way every shooter would know that any person taking disabled positionals have been fully validated and the reason is genuine so they are not gaining an unfair advantage.

If the person needing the disabled position is genuine then these steps would ensure that we are seen to be using the positions "Fairly". I know that some may feel that this proceedure is over the top, but I feel that with several stages of validation, then the disabled position is used fairly.

I would be more than willing to do this as I want no percieved advantage I want to shoot well, improve and my god yes I want to win something...... But I want to do it with everyone congratulating me not stating that I only won because I used a disabled position for my kneelers I want to win on my skills (as and when I hopefully develop them!!)

I love shooting FT. The challenges of the sport, the people I get to shoot with, and the buzz I get every time I see a target fall.

Please let me know what you think.....
Miss Helen England
Southampton Buccaneers FTC Treasurer, CSFTA Treasurer, Lucky Shot and Cake Maker!!