View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2011, 05:26 PM
I Like BIG Hats!
Member of: Far Coley FTC

Originally Posted by Suzukiphil View Post
Agreed Berty,
Bodies like the BFTA can only exist through membership fees. Sponsorship, merchandise etc an help but the key to developing FT in the UK will be through individual shooters supporting a national body by becoming members. The more members you have the more sponsorship you can command (mind you, you did a cracking job on that for last season). I notice that HFT has more young shooters which is also an area that BFTA need to look at, how can we bring them in, and more importantly keep them interested.
Originally Posted by berty177 View Post
I agree entirely,

Ive brought the idea of a top jnr shooter on the day at each gp for this season and everyone liked it, so thats been added.

With the club teams cup as well, alot of juniors can represent their clubs at the gp's which will help Im sure.
Just ideas I thought of and ideas people passed to me.

It would assist if the BFTA had more finances via support through shooters cards etc for more prizes. I am looking at a different way of having a big raffle prize at every round and still have a good raffle at the last GP of the year at Sywell. That means we wont have as much at the end of the season but there should be more big prizes throughout the season...

I just hope I can sort it for the start of the season??? One other thing I need is support off the lads with pics and articles from each round. The more advertising etc we can pull in the better it will be for myself to get the support the Manufacturers want to give the sport...

Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
Now before reading i am an FT shooter and have only done a few HFT shoots but i have asked new members and the juniors why they shoot and what made them choose HFT over FT.

I dont think personally its prizes that make FT shooters shoot. Its just the nature of the game that draws us in.
I personally have shot for a number of years and dont need the added prizes to make me want to shoot FT.(though winning something would make my day)

Its easier to get into HFT because you walk into a gun shop and you get a good deal on a combo.(small mag scope and s400)
Go to a club and sit on the bench a little and shoot the nearer targets do a bit of standing realise that your waving all over the place decide sitting might be easier and find its not really comfortable.

Hence now laying on the floor pretending to shoot that bunny 30 yrds away find it very stable can hit said target and now want to possibly enter a competition. It takes less effort and you have the tools for the job to play HFT.
I AM NOT SAYING HFT IS AN EASIER SPORT just less effort out of the box to enter.

FT is uncomfortable and you cant get far without changing the small mag scope which is possibly a big expense even at entry level.
Then FT has more targets to hit per course so more effort in the stamina and concentration front which for the younger generation is hard most of the time. Not only that its heart breaking to realise the scoring is a hit if the target falls but nothing in this game for a plate hit.

I have given my gun over to these members to use and they have loved the big scope and say when they get bored or have more money they may try FT. Some are now setting up a second gun just to see if FT is for them.

So hoping my charm and the good people on the FT curcuit win them over.

A common theme developing and one I totally agree with. We need to as a sport to recruit new shooters, both as juniors and as adults and maybe should be a focus and a priority both for the national and regional bodies. How this is to be done i'm no expert and i've no answers at this stage, but would love to hear from any experts in this field.
As for the comments about BFTA cards and support for the BFTA is their scope to make policy that all members of BFTA affiliated clubs are carded?
AirArms RN10/EV2 Stock-2007 Big nikko FT Kit
AirArms NJR100 Hawke Airmax SR6 HFT/SFT Kit
Feinwerkbau 600 10 metre
HW77K-zeiler 6-24x44 Work in progress
Webley Vulcan .22 Lovely old relic