View Single Post
Old 8th November 2010, 07:04 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

yeh, i forget setting up with mirage running... because it's a change in the IOR of the air, it will throw every scope out. Either you can wait until the wind is blowing it away, around 20mph (you dont need to shoot to set ranges) or do it earlier before it's appeared. If you try and range with mirage, you will find even if you have snap, that your ranges will change from second to second.

I think you'll find that the snap is so strong, the gap could be .5mm for a meter and it will be fine. With the sportsmatch pointer and the scope's consistency it's no problem.

I tend to do one turn slowly, that allows me to see what detail is available to resolve. Range on that, read number, then do a fast or slow, read number, then the opposite, read number... dial an send it. I always make sure the last turn is always in the same direction of travel.

I tend to mark the following distances (in yards, but principle is the same) and then just do the rest in my head.

8,9,10, 15, 17.5, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55.

past 30 i wont mark them up every 2.5 yds, but i will work out the clicks roughly for speed to save me doing maths on the shot.

if the gap between 10 and 15 is massive i will do 12.5 perhaps. By massive i mean i might not be able to easily tell the difference between 1/2 and a 1/3rd between.

between 20 and 30 yds i'm flat... 17.5 and 32.5 barely adds anything, only when i get to 15 and 35 is do i start adding any amount of clicks.

For me, gap is not king, snap is.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep