View Single Post
Old 7th September 2010, 01:01 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Maximum distance for kneelers and standers is 45 yds, and they have to be a 40mm or 45mm kill. 6 lanes in total, so you can have 3 kneelers and 2 standing lanes, or vice versa, or i suppose 1 of one, and 4 of the other although i've never seen this.

up to 5 lanes for standers kneelers. It has to be equal amounts i beleive, ie, 2 or 4 standers + 2 or 4 kneelers, or if want to go to the max its 6 targets of one and 4 of the otherl

There is guidance on what the combined length of the positional lanes should be, but i don't know what that is.

From experience at gp level, I would say kneelers a good set of 6 is 2 targets around the 38 -45 distance, 3 30 - 37 and one "gimmie" of under 30. At gp level its rare to see kneelers missed that often, I wont mention which short kneeler Ian taylor missed when he knocked me out Sunday!
Standers are different game. Seen many top Aa shooters miss standers of less than 30 yards this year. If setting 4 standers I would say 1 at 35+, 2 at 27 - 34 and one "gimmie" of under 27, haha, Gimmie stander!!

Smallest kill allowed is 25mm, at no further than 35yds. These can only be used on non positional lanes. 10% course maximum (i believe)

Its 25 % of the course (12 on 50 shot gp) at the moment though there is a proposal from up north to reduce it to 20%. They dont like reducers up north! I personally like them and would like to see 15 ml kills in and out to 30 yards.
Usually for a Gp about 3- 5 is enough. For me though they are a waste of time below 25 yards as they become gimmies. 30 - 35 yards is where good shooting comes in with 1 inch reducers.

Think anston's average was 47yds, but bear in mind that a course can be long and have a couple of 8's or 10's to bring it down somewhat.
I think lanes should be have something in the 40's and 50's but also something closer now and then.... and a lot of varying direction and heights and exposure to the wind, as well as a couple of light and dark targets to add to the flavour.
It's a like cooking... you can say you need x teaspoonfuls of whatever in there, but really it should be flavoured to taste. Dont forget that still or harsh conditions will see the target length shift somewhat.
If you want to practice for longer stuff, then wind exposure is something to play with... doesn't need to be all fully exposed, you can trip people up with sheltering as well... and a lane or two with awkward ranges, like 48 or 53, to test rangefinding as well can help focus people's rangefinding skills.
As Rob says, what is a perfect length course when set up can very quickly become too hard and somethng of a lottery in silly wind or like at least (for me) 3 of the Gp this year pretty easy if the wind drops and you dont need to come out of kill at any range. Good course need to be built on the fly is the way.
Gp tend t be mainly 40 -55 yards but I like the odd 35 - 40 yarder in a lane, especially if its target two. I get more nervouse on a "short" 30+ full kill if I have just knocked over the 50 + no 1 target!
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85