View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:34 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

At the moment, the NSRA team is a little stretched... but hopefully there should be some release to that soon.

BFTA Instructors courses are designed to enable instructors to take new shooters and get them going. But covering the principles involved in this often concretes the course attendee's own knowledge, so it's a 50-50 gain. Course takes 2 days, and much of it is hands on.

BFTA Club Coach courses are designed to enable coaches to take on and develop a shooter's skills through coaching rather than instruction. They deal much more with the process of education, coaching, and are much more theory based, with far less shooting. However, they do open the door to the principles behind development and learning, and are quite illuminating and they explore the principles behind shooting to quite some degree. This takes 2 days, with a short assessment afterwards a couple of weeks down the line.

BFTA County Coach courses concrete further the club coach, and are the qualification needed to be able to deliver the club instructor and clun coach courses. The principles learned on those courses are examined in detail to a higher degree, with the aim to be able to work with county team shooters at a level just around the cusp of national entry. Also covered are the skills to be able to present the courses. This course takes 4 days, requires you to deliver a module of the club coach course, and also build a training schedule personal to a shooter and take them through it for a couple of months at least. Again, this is similar in practical terms to the club course, more classroom than practical, but you will be exploring shooting skills to quite a high degree, so if that floats your boat, the course will.

Because the County Coach qualification is needed to deliver instructors courses, the BFTA is slightly on the back foot with the loss of it's last county coach, and therefore uses NSRA coaches to deliver BFTA courses. That's not to say that they are unfamiliar with FT, indeed their skill sets and knowledge is far and wide.

It would be great, all being well, to establish a training structure within the BFTA, so that every region has it's own county coach or two, and ideally every club to have a coach, and instructor... that way the courses would naturally feed more people to volunteer to become County qualified, and thus keep the training momentum going.

Ideally, if/when I pass, i'll be looking to get that ball rolling, and hopefully there will be some volunteers to go from instructor to coach, coach to county, so the tree spreads so to speak... I just need to get my lab rat signed off, and I need to get CRB'd and hopefully we can get the ball rolling. But considering it's a year since taking my club course, it does take a while... so if anyone fancies jumping onto coach, let me know and I can have a chat, and pass on the interest to the NSRA training team.

If you're slightly interested in getting into the 'head' of shooters enjoy passing the baton onto other shooters, then you won't be dissapointed by these courses, they really are superb value for the small amount of money they cost.

As you get more qualified, you actually develop skills to make your life easier... that and once you're county, you can charge money!
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep