View Single Post
Old 25th June 2010, 07:24 AM
Member of: Harriers

I've been using and testing S&Bs since the spring of 2008. My first scope was a prototype (but was sold to me as a first production model...). Parallaxing was nearly linear, every metre was about 7-8 mm on the wheel between 10 and 50 metres. The rangefinding was highly sensitive to temperature, to magnification and altitude as well. I could manage it somehow and weren't a disadvantage on the competitions, but I enjoyed its advantages like the wide FOV, the precise mechanism, and the very clear image.

In 2009. I tested one of the first production models. Parallaxing was squeezed in the larger distances but sensitivity to temps was exactly the same and had a definitely blurred image so it was sent back to the factory by its owner.

In February 2010. the factory replaced my prototype scope with a new production model, where the rangefinding isn't sensitive to magnification any more, but as with all S&Bs the good old temp shift stayed the same. Parallaxing: the markings on the wheel get narrow up to 25 metres, but after that the scale is nearly linear.

It's a shame from a manufacturer like the S&B... The bigger shame is that I've been waiting for an answer to my letter for months now, but all in all, if you know the scope's faults, for they are predictable and can be reproduced again and again, you can get to know your scope and you can get on with it.

I was thinking of buying a March scope, but my latest news is that its temp shift is rather sly - it rangefinds consistently only up to a limit. Then suddenly it jumps and rangefinds differently. For more information please ask Doc, my Hungarian colleague, he can be found on the STB forum as well.
The Updated BFTA Manuals Maestro Design FT Accessories