Thread: The Shires 100
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2009, 08:36 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

The Shires 100: Simply awesome.

50 lanes of targets (not 2 courses of 25 as I had somehow expected)... an awesome amount of work. Targets of various ranges, a good mixture of positionals, and mini kills dotted around the course added to the variety for those familiar with the ground. The new layout of the infamous bank was a nice addition as well.

Of course, it wouldn't be Sywell without 'that wind', and despite having shot 3 GP's there that 'garden' was as tricky as ever, and the open 'field of dreams' at the start of the course in turn caused several nightmares. Dave Croucher stormed the morning session just missing 3 shots, leaving everyone in his wake. Optimism abounded over lunch, but the afternoon was where the work needed to be done, and many shooters saw their chances eroded as the wind bit harder and in a less predicable manner. A partridge chuckling on the top of the bank for the last hour only added to the atmosphere.

With over 80 shooters in attendance there were some very impressive final scores on the day from all the classes; notably A grade won with an 88 and the top score of the day being 92 ex 100 (Dave Harrison winning from Mark Fisher on countback). For me the best performance of the day came from Steve Lanyman, who put down 85 of the targets in the SFT class, mearly using his 10x and guestimation... proving once again that despite all the kit, the important part of the equation is the nutt behind the trigger.

After 100 shots, I'm somewhat tired and aching this morning... but this is one of the opens I can't wait to shoot again next year. I can see that this is one title that will be heavily contested in future. Well done to all involved especially to Air Arms and Kibworth Gun Shop for the fantastic prizes.

Pics and scores to follow
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread