View Single Post
Old 6th May 2010, 05:20 PM
Judge Diva
Member of: Nelson FTC
Default Cost of set ups

[QUOTE=Weevie;30084]I think the problem for many is with expense. It's just not the expense you guys think it is.

It's been said that many of the rifles seen on the HFT circuit either are FT rifles or would be perfectly good for FT (S400 for example). There is a problem with this though.

In HFT one of the most popular scopes is the EB Sniper. It's a good compromise between the many characteristics required for the 'perfect' HFT scope. The perfect HFT scope doesn't (yet) exist of course but characteristics like good DOF, as little as possible parrallax error, ability to mount low do show up on the tried and tested 'good' HFT scopes.

FT scopes are very different, in fact some characteristics that make up a good HFT scope would be bad on an FT scope.

Practically speaking nobody in their right mind is going to want to keep swapping an HFT suitable scope and an FT suitable scope on a single rifle.

So that means not only getting another scope, it means getting another rifle to put it on.

Some people can afford to do that. Well done to them if they can, they're obviously doing something right in their lives.

Many can't. Which is why I suspect a lot of HFT shooters don't shoot FT.

I think I have an alternative to this that would solve alot of problems.

If its down to cost and I can see why, if you wanted to compete in both codes it could be expensive.

I have been using up until recently the Leupold quick release bases. WIth these you require the bases themselves and rings for the scopes. The beauty of this mounting set up is you can have several scope to fit 1 set of mount bases. The system is not cheap, the bases cost approx 55 per set, the rings are 35 per set and to have them machined varies where you go. I have got a friend John Pardoe who charges approx 25 to machine both blocks. i have been quoted 80 by another company.

The price of a full set with 2sets of rings would be in the region of 140 punds. The up side is that, you would only have to use 1 rifle which is a big saving plus you would be using the same rifle which you would be coinfident with from the start.