View Single Post
Old 16th March 2010, 08:24 AM
Member of: TAWD VALE

Originally Posted by CameronWilson View Post

When I bought the Steyr secondhand, it was basically set up as an FT rig but I shoot HFT exclusively (at the moment).

The rifle came with a Steyr weaver bridge & matching Signature Zee mounts, and a Deben 10-50x 56mm scope. I've also got a Hawke Sidewinder 30 6-24x 56mm, a pair of BKL medium mounts and I've ordered a MTC Viper 10x 44mm scope to see what it's like so I have a number of different combinations to choose from.

I've heard a few people saying that ideally in FT you want to get the scope as high as possible (weaver bridge), but in HFT you want to get the scope as low as possible. Is this true? Is it really the end of the world if I continue to use the weaver bridge, and what disadvantage would I be at?

The BKL medium mounts seem quite high (higher than the Hawke high mounts that came with the scope).

Which would be your ideal combo out of the choice that I have? Viper on BKL?

In relation to HFT The lower the mounts the less hold over you will have on the closer range reducers, but you will have slightly more hold over on the longer range 35-45mm Kills and the opposite is true of higher mounts, I personally try and set my scope height and zero to give me no more than 1 mildot hold over @ 45yrds, but I know of some top shooters that prefer less hold over at range and go for slightly higher mounts to achieve this....

As far as your scope choice, I myself would not use anything above a 44mm Objective for HFT simply because I would not be able to get the scope height low enough for my liking, but one mans meat is another mans poison, so to speak....

There are ground rules that apply to all sports, because they are tried and trusted methods, but at the end of the day there is no golden rule and it is what suits you best, and anyway rules are there to be broken!...

...Except the UKAHFT one's that is