View Single Post
Old 8th March 2010, 11:52 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by SoberYouth View Post
I am new to Air Gunning. I have a HW100S and HW97K and am now looking to either buy or part exchange my HW100Sk for a Daystate or Air Arms rifle. I have come to the conclusion that I need a 'lighter' rifle and as I am looking at target shooting and hunting. I bought my rifle in Feb this year and have been out shooting at targets with it but it just seems to be a little 'heavy' for me and when I try to shoot standing up am all over the place. Is it just me and I will need to build up my arms to support the rifle or should I look to get a 'lighter' rifle? Are able to suggest any for consideration? Very upset with above as always wanted a Weihrauch rifle!!!

I am looking at the Air Arms S510 or Daystate Mk4 but do not know wether to change for either of these two superb rifles. I have been looking in the Air Gun magazines and as I originally made my purchase of the HW100SK am now doubting wether I made the right decision. I must admit that I did not consider either of the two rifles mentioned above but it would seem that most of the write ups in the magazines seem to be using the two mentioned above as 'test specimens'.

Grateful for any advice or help.

It's probably not going to help... with all due respect to those that have difficulty with standers (and I am not perfect by any stretch), strength is nothing really to anything do with it.... it's technique. The biggest problem is most people's positions don't offer adequate support, or an injury or wear on the body doesn't allow it.

Ok, i qualify that a bit... if you think strength is needed then you're using muscle/tendon to lift the rifle and hold it... a better way is to use as little soft tissue and try and get as much bone support in there as possible.

Once you have a stable position, you also need to check that it's naturally aiming on target... if you find, that after closing your eyes and opening them again after counting to 10 or taking a couple of breaths, that your aim has now settled somewhere new, then your fighting your body by trying to get that aim back on your target, and that will use muscle.

Often I find the biggest problems are either people not knowing how to get a stable standing position (or for medical reasons not being able to... bad back etc), or not naturally pointing on the target (or their body not being set up as such).

One thing to start with is drawing a straight line from the target back to your feet, and lining your feet up so that line goes straight through your ankles, your hips should also be inline, as should your shoulders.

Start with feet about shoulder width apart, and feet just naturally pointing, so not wildly duck feet, and not forcing them to be straight.

you can actually sit the butt just out of the airpit a tad, and then get your hand on your hip, or let the gun's weight push it down into your chest... feel the weight come down from the front arm onto chest/hip and down the front leg, which should have 60+% of the weight on it... once that feels solid, then put head to scope and see where you are.

i'd also advocate not shooting at anything specific... stick a sheet of a3 blank paper up at 10yds, and just work on trying to get the gun to sit on you, rather than you holding it up, take a few shots when you feel happy at nothing specific.

but if you can get an instuctor to have a look, it's easier to explain in person.

hand position is optional, and it helps to know a few hand positions so that you can lift or drop the gun to suit, without having to widen or narrow your stance (which will do the same thing, but might not be possible on the ground)... the hand kicked back really helps stopping the gun dropping down and to the right (for right handed shooters), and the gun sits on the palm nicely.

when you get it right you won't feel like you're lifting it, but more supporting it. Neale demonstrates that really well here.

this is one of the best positions i've seen that i have a photo of... girls have an advantage in that they can swing their hips further than blokes can, but Sarah's leading elbow is on her hip and the weight is taken straight down from the leading hand, down forearm, down through hip and front leg... and the rest of the geometry allows a line of support from the leading hand across her hip and through down her back leg... her head is upright, her gun sits on her wrist bones...and her trailing arm is relaxed. You can spot that (and i have to be careful about my words here or i will get a clip around the ear) her butt isn't quite right, it's sticking out of the top of where it locates in the armpit, but it's position down the arm, away from tight inside the armpit is good.

the back knee is starting to kink though, something I suffer from now and then, and that will introduce horizontal wobble... you want your legs to feel like your standing... not locked, and you don't want to feel like your kneecaps should rise.

it does take a bit of practice, but I find that once people feel like what a good supported standing position is like, it's a bit of a epiphany and they're usually on their way, so it might be worth getting someone to show you... just remember though that if you have any pain, stop, and if you've had back injury especially, get it checked out beforehand... we don't want people trying lug 15lb rigs up and putting their back out trying to ape double spine curvature positions

Ok, so a lot of those are FT rigs, but there's an s400 in there for good measure. Obviously lugging a heavy gun around a field is harder than a lighter one, and you may get on with another gun better, but you may also solve a lot of problems if you get the knack of standing
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep

Last edited by Robf; 9th March 2010 at 12:20 AM.