View Single Post
Old 20th August 2016, 07:24 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

I find your post really odd Pete for a number of reasons.

Firstly from day 1 it was made clear to us (EFTA) that springers and pcps would be in different sessions. Did WAFTA not pass that on? I know this because it meant Helen and I would be in different sessions and this is one of the reasons we chose the Solplay which would have been close enough for us to walk to (until the course location was changed by the government)

I understand the lane allocation didn't come out till late but it was also at the registration office and posted online, albeit that doesn't change the different sessions you'd have been in. It was posted on the door you walk through to register.

But to be clear, there was never any chance of you shooting the same session unless the ladies Pcp were with the springers. I can understand why you wanted to be assured you were shooting springer, but not why you think it would have kept you in the same session. Perhaps it was something not related by WAFTA?
But given the strength of their shooting and the inclusion in some teams I thought it was logical to expect they wouldn't be. However beyond logistics I'm not sure why this was so critical. It's highly unlikely given the length of a world's course line and the deliberate spreading of same country shooters along it that you'd have been together anyway. I barely saw other English springer shooters all day.

As for the other comments

No there were no signs. There was a map sent to every competitor via email and also mentioned for checking in the opening dinner Tuesday night. It had Gps coordinates. We also had a map in the Facebook page which Wales shooters were members of.

Road signs would have been a plus, but then with only perhaps 70 cars in the car park I guess most arrived by the coach service from the 2 main hotels that the Portuguese organised.

There was full catering at the car park from Tuesday. The loos at the top weren't good, but the 3 50 yds away on the plinking range were, as was the ones every 100 yds on the course line and the permanent ones around the arena in between the course and the plinking range. There was loads of water all around the course with the exception of lanes 1-5. On weds I saw several people carrying water up the line and handing it out to shooters.

Yes the short track to the plink was steep but you could just walk down the side and it was level. I'm not sure about the air, that was mentioned about others though.

Again the lanes were up at the registration desk. The gates were locked because you took a short cut via a side track instead of the actual paved path leading up to the registration office. To the side was the stairs leading up to that same point.

The targets were changed every day at least. I know this because I shot Tuesday, Weds and Thursday afternoon and they would have been battered by then. I assumed that meant they'd been changed after the heavier Pcp session. Each board was marked top left with the range in meters.

I heard about the long briefing. We had one as well. I think the problem was exasperated by those only reading the rules a few days before going. I seem to remember you asking about them yourself here just shortly beforehand.

Clearly the problem of the different sessions has coloured your opinion. That's a shame. But to say the Portuguese organisation was unsuccessful based upon that is disingenuous. There were things wrong and things that could be better. But that's the same for every organisation that is presented with issues unique to them.

I guess though with Wales hosting next year, your home country, it will all be beyond perfect. No doubt after the briefing tonight all will be looking forward to that. No doubt that will be down to the considerable efforts you personally will be putting in yourself to make it so. With your breadth of understanding of logistics, organisation and liasion I now expect you to be right at the helm 24/7 like many of the Portuguese and Spanish members were trying to make the event the best they could over 300 visiting shooters from 30 odd different countries, some who will be absolutely committed to the competition and some who may treat it as a holiday hotel organised excursion.

Doz mentioned yesterday how he thought there needed to be a position for shooter liasion, to help with all those strange problems that are unique but can be hard to conquer in a strange foreign speaking land. It sounds like you have the perspective to understand these issues and certainly appear to suggest you could do a superb job. It's a novel style to volunteering you have but I'm sure everyone appreciates you putting yourself forward like this.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep