View Single Post
Old 15th March 2016, 12:45 PM
Reformed Bandit
Member of: Millride FTC

Originally Posted by Mordorf View Post
So with a ballistics app you enter specific configuration and it tells you exactly how many clicks etc.

So you have a target 52 yds away down hill at 27 degrees, air pressure and temperature and wind speed and direction set by phone.

The app will tell you exactly where to aim or set the turrets.

Baring in mind that for my configuration if I shoot a target at 51 yards that is level to me I set me scope to 65 clicks. For the same distance but downhill at 30 degrees it is only 49 clicks.

So as you can see a ballistics app could make a very big difference indeed.
So you have a phone that can tell you in "real time" what the wind speed is at the target? i would like to see that. Your phone has an accurate barometer for your precise location? and assuming you know how pressure affects your trajectory?
Secondly on a 51 yard target at a 30 degrees downhill placement this changes your clicks by 16? that doesn't sound right to me? personally ive never had to make any adjustment for inclination other than be towards the bottom of the kill and that for a far steeper angle than 30 degrees.

I dont see how any ballistics app can be any more beneficial than a paper click chart at the firing line. Short of placing an anemometer on top of the target and "knowing the precise effect" that a given wind speed will have on a pellet at that given range at the precise time you pull the trigger (wind speed and more importantly "wind run" is not linear, a 20mph 50 second wind run will vary between 5mph and 30 mph during the 50 seconds of run.

What im trying to say is forget it, the best shots in the game all have one thing in common - they are able to read the wind and adjust the shot accordingly using the oldest tool known to man..... experience.
When I was 5 I wanted to be like George Best
At 10 I wanted to be Nigel Mansell
At 40 I wanted to be like Tiger Woods
At 50 I want to be like Gilly
Just shows how life can kick you in the nads