View Single Post
Old 31st January 2016, 10:19 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

The thing that differentiates FT from things like ISSF and other shooting sports is that FT has a culture for innovation. If it didn't we'd all still be using .22 springers and range finding scopes wouldn't be allowed.

To allow the sport to evolve, we obviously need some boundaries, but we also need a certain amount of leeway in the rules so that it can continue to grow and evolve as it has done over the past 30 years.

That makes writing rules really really difficult, the leeway inherent in our rules can lead to some protracted arguments at meetings and on forums - but hey, that's part of the sport too - love it or hate it, it's a part of FT.

Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
The density of the roll is up to you. If it is too hard, it will get uncomfortable soon. If it is too soft, it will give not enough support to your ankle. So no extra rules are needed; I like that. The length doesn't matter as well - also no rules needed.

Another question: Can a bean bag be rolled into a cylindrical shape of 7" diameter and therefore legally be used as kneeling roll?
Yup - that's a good example of why there's some freedom in the rules - to allow some innovation - up to a point.

I'd say that rolling a beanbag into a cylinder is probably a step too far though. The beanbag has been banned from kneelers. Part of the reason for that is that they tend to puff up at the sides and give quite a bit of lateral support. Rolling a beanbag up could see us right back to square one with this whole thing.

I'd be careful about the length of your personal kneeling roll. there's no need for it to be bigger than say 30cm long, too long and it might attract some attention from the marshals to see if it's resting up against your thigh.

The kneeling roll I've been using for the past 8 NEFTA Winter league events is 25cm long and that's been plenty long enough for me.

Last edited by Brian.Samson; 31st January 2016 at 10:21 PM.