View Single Post
Old 28th January 2016, 08:50 AM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

Originally Posted by verminator View Post
Wow, people are so quick to dismiss this. Anyone who has machined a long piece of steel rod in a lathe will know just how bendy it can get. Long thin rod with weight on the end, unsupported, it's going to bend a minute amount. Not so much with a short fat barrel.

I have experienced POIs I can't explain with chairgun or rifleman's, improved-rifleman's, sierra approach oand other computer modelling. Maybe it's just my gun.

On the subject of the rifleman's rule, does anyone have an explanation for why it doesn't work with airguns? The theory seems reasonable.
The elevated target at 20 degrees for example is 12yrds away, however the bottom of the tree it sits on is only 10.5yrds, if using the rifleman theory you would dial for the closer distance ie 10.5yrds which requires quite a bit more elevation on the turret therefore you will be aiming way too high. You are in effect worsening the effect.

I've tested it to a fair degree and can't find a noticeable difference with air rifles and the shorter distance encountered (50m and under). Only in very extreme angles have I found the shot going slightly high and the angle involved would be so steep that it would pose a health and safety risk in the course.
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!