View Single Post
Old 21st January 2016, 10:35 AM
Member of: Ford & Oaks
Default Not so

Originally Posted by skires View Post
I see what you are saying re position of cheek/eye. If you look at most HFTers stocks the cheek piece is adjustable and set to around level with the barrel so it's a cheek rest and not a chin rest.

Take a look at an old Daystate Huntsman Bullpup done by B&M ...

The cheekpiece is slightly higher than the barrel. The buttpad on that can be lowered so you can rest it on the ground for HFT prone ... or you could set it high so it will sit properly in the shoulder. The intermount on that is high as it was designed for FT. That mount could probably be made lower so the scope sat at virtually normal height and you'd still be able to line your eye up. That wood is heavy and the rifle is quite heavy in general. The weight sits further back and is very stable kneeling and standing. The deep fore end is perfect for resting on a gloved hand HFT low prone and also for kneelers and standers ... and is depth legal.

I'm convinced that could be used for HFT ( as is ... but especially if that intermount was lowered a tad ) and a decent shooter would do well with it.
A decent shooter would do well with most rifles

I didn't know B&M did Bullpups, must have a look next time I am in there, they have just opened a shop in Bognor

The cheek piece on the B&M you show is sat on top of the action, the barrel goes into the action so by definition the top of the barrel must be below the top of the action and the thing that doesn't change is your physical relationship between eye and cheekbone.

So you can never get your eye as low on a true bullpup as you can on a full length rifle.

If you draw a line from your pupil through the scope then for me 35mm below this line is the lowest the cheek rest can be.

So on an imaginary rifle where the barrel is a typical 16mm diameter and the barrel goes into the action level with the action dovetail (not possible, buts its an imaginary rifle ) and we have a small objective scope (its usually the zoom ring or eyepiece that limits how low you can go) and we have mounts that put this scope in line with the fixed eye position this means 35mm plus the radius of the barrel 8mm = 42mm CL, so even on the perfect imaginary bullpup you can never get to what is easily possible with a full length rifle and super low mounts.

In addition the eye is fixed laterally, with an adjustable stock the eye can be taken across the rifle centre line, with a bullpup its fixed on the side of the rifle, to get on the centre line the head has to be tilted.

My Steyr conversion has LOP adjustment, full trigger adjustment, pistol grip adjustment (angle, rotation, height) and full butt hook adjustment - the cheek rest is totally fixed as its the rifle action.

As for HFT with it, well I have shot it a bit recently positionals are spot on with it (there is movement but its a different movement to that found with a full length rifle ) and surprisingly its very good for prone shots, but then I have set it up the same as my usual rifle.

One thing that does take some getting used to is follow through as your ear/eye is on the action and it can be a bit of a shock when you fire at first (especially with a Steyr and the stabilisor) but doesn't take long to get used to.

I think the ideal place for Bullpups in HFT is in 0.22" where a slightly higher scope is a distinct advantage

I will be trying mine when I get some time to shoot and maybe improve my average - but when I am not shooting I am "smithing"

Have to say the comments about getting people into HFT and putting them off is spot on, I have been thinking recently about the class system used in FT - maybe HFT is drifting that way.... ohhh can of worms
...the statements, opinions and comments in the post above are from someone who has never won anything and probably never will, just an enthusiastic air gunner, for those here who only place value in the opinions of winners - move along to the next post ... LL MRE